[Haskell] PhD Position in dependent types, testing & hardware design

Wouter Swierstra wouter.swierstra at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 08:34:08 UTC 2014

VACANCY : 1x Phd position in dependent types, testing & hardware design

The research group of Software Technology is part of the Software
Systems division of in the department of Information and Computer
Science at the Utrecht University. We focus our research on functional
programming, compiler construction, program analysis, validation, and
verification.

Financed by the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research
(NWO), we currently have a job opening for:

* 1x PhD researcher (PhD student) Software Technology

The aim of the project is to develop a domain specific language for
testing and verifying hardware, embedded in a general purpose
dependently typed programming language.

Besides research, the successful candidate will be expected to help
supervise MSc students and assist teaching courses.

We aim to start September 1, 2014 at the latest, but preferably
sooner.

---------------------------------
What we are looking for
---------------------------------

The candidate should have an MSc in Computer Science, be highly
motivated, speak and write English well, and be proficient in
producing scientific reports. Knowledge of and experience with at
least one of the following four areas is essential:

 * functional programming, such as Haskell or ML;
 * dependently typed programming, such as Agda, Coq, or Idris;
 * software testing, including familiarity with libraries such as
   QuickCheck and SmallCheck;
 * hardware description languages, such as Lava or VHDL;

---------------------------------
What we offer
---------------------------------

The candidate is offered a full-time position for four years. A
part-time of at least 0.8 fte may also be possible. The salary is
supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and an end-of-year bonus of
8,3% per year. In addition we offer: a pension scheme, a partially
paid parental leave, flexible employment conditions. Conditions are
based on the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities. The
research group will provide the candidate with necessary support on
all aspects of the project. More information is available on the
website:

  Terms and employment: http://bit.ly/1elqpM7

A part-time of at least 0.8 fte may also be possible. Salary starts
at EURO 2,083 and increases to EURO 2,664 gross per month in the fourth
year of the appointment.

Utrecht is a great place to live, having been ranked as one of the
happiest places in the world, according to BBC travel.

  Living in Utrecht: http://bitly.com/HdbL0X

---------------------------------
In order to apply
---------------------------------

To apply please attach a letter of motivation, a curriculum vitae, and
(email) addresses of two referees. Make sure to also include a
transcript of the courses you have followed (at bachelor and master
level), with the grades you obtained, and to include a sample of your
scientific writing, such as your master thesis.

It is possible to apply for this position if you are close to
obtaining your Master's. In that case include a letter of your
supervisor with an estimate of your progress, and do not forget to
include at least a sample of your technical writing skills.

Application closes on the May 30th, 2014. You can apply through
the University's website:

  http://ssl1.peoplexs.com/Peoplexs22/CandidatesPortalNoLogin/Vacancy.cfm?PortalID=4124&VacatureID=654004

Contact

For further information you can direct your inquiries to:

Wouter Swierstra
phone: +31 (0)30 253 9207
e-mail: w.s.swierstra at uu.nl.
website: http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~swier004