[Haskell] Chordify, a new web startup using Haskell

José Pedro Magalhães jpm at cs.uu.nl
Fri Jan 18 00:07:33 CET 2013

Hi all,

I'd like to introduce Chordify <http://chordify.net/> [1], an online music
player that extracts chords from musical sources like Soundcloud, Youtube
or your own files, and shows you which chord to play when. Here's an
example song:
http://chordify.net/chords/passenger-let-her-go-official-video-passengermusic

The aim of Chordify is to make state-of-the-art music technology accessible
to a broader audience. Behind the scenes, Chordify uses the HarmTrace
Haskell package to compute chords from audio. I've been working on this
project with a couple of colleagues for a while now, and recently we have
made the website public, free to use for everyone.

We do not use Haskell for any of the frontend/user interface, but the
backend is entirely written in Haskell (and it uses pretty advanced
features, such as GADTs and type families [3]). We're particularly
interested in user feedback at this stage, so if you're interested in music
and could use an automatic chord transcription service, please try Chordify!

Cheers,
Pedro

[1] http://chordify.net/
[2] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/HarmTrace
[3] José Pedro Magalhães and W. Bas de Haas. Functional Modelling of
Musical Harmony: an Experience Report. In Proceedings of the 16th ACM
SIGPLAN International Conference on Functional Programming (ICFP'11), pp.
156–162, ACM, 2011. http://dreixel.net/research/pdf/fmmh.pdf