[Haskell] PhD/Postdoc Position at U Tübingen (Germany)

Torsten Grust torsten.grust at uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Apr 9 18:06:50 CEST 2013

  [ Dear Haskell folks, while the job posting below may sound somewhat
    ``databasey'', our group performs most of its research in the trenches
    between the PL and DB worlds.  Haskell definitely is our research
    vehicle of choice.  Database-Supported Haskell (Hackage: DSH) and our
    work on bringing back monad comprehensions into GHC are testament
    to this, I guess.  Please consider joining us!

    Cheers, Torsten
  ]

Starting October 2013, the DATABASE SYSTEMS Chair (Prof. Dr. Torsten
Grust) at the Wilhelm-Schickard-Institute for Computer Science of
Universität Tübingen (Germany), has a vacant position for a

                      RESEARCH ASSISTANT.

We encourage both, university graduates and Postdocs, to apply.

= RESEARCH & TEACHING =

Our team currently performs research in the following areas:

 - the interplay of database technology and various aspects of
   functional programming languages,
 - the compilation and optimization of (new) database languages, and
 - database systems for non-relational data (trees, nested lists, ...).

It is a principle of our work to construct systems (see
db.inf.uni-tuebingen.de/research/dsh or ferry-lang.org) that make
our ideas tangible and assessable.  The chair's research contributions
are recognized internationally and more often than not are the fruit
of collaboration with associated research groups.

Our teaching activities embrace the classical topics of database
technology as well as Computer Science, both at undergraduate and
graduate levels.  Whenever possible, we try to intertwine our
research and teaching activities.

= REQUIREMENTS =

We are looking forward to grow our team and welcome applications of
highly motivated candidates with an excellent university degree (in
Computer Science or a closely related field) who are willing to
support our research and teaching efforts.  We are open to proposals
for new research directions and hope that you like systems building as
much as we do.

Good knowledge of German (teaching) as well as English (research and
publication) are a requirement.

= JOB DETAILS AND APPLICATION =

Successful candidates will sign a contract with the Universität Tübingen
under the current regulations applicable to employees in Public Service
(TV?D).  You will be working in Tübingen, the traditional university town
in the Neckar valley (Stutgart region). Tübingen is a beautiful and lively
medieval town with a large university population. Located in southern Germany,
at the edge of the Swabian Jura and Blackwood Forest, the surrounding country
is characterized by rolling hills, forests, river valleys, historic towns,
and extensive walking and biking trails. The quality of life is excellent.

Universität Tübingen aims at increasing the number of female employees
and thus especially welcomes applications of female candidates.

Applications of disabled candidates will be given priority, depending on
their suitability.

Please send your complete application in PDF format via e-mail
to Prof. Dr. Torsten Grust (torsten.grust at uni-tuebingen.de).

The deadline for applications is May 19, 2013.

Inquiries with respect to this position may be directed to

  Prof. Dr. Torsten Grust
  +49 7071 / 29 75477
  torsten.grust at uni-tuebingen.de
  db.inf.uni-tuebingen.de/team/grust