[Haskell] Creating a factorial function in GHC

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Wed May 9 10:35:43 CEST 2012

Then beginners at haskell.org might be a better place to ask, since
haskell at haskell.org is for announcements.

> The book suggests:
>
> factorial :: Integer -> Integer
> factorial n = product [1..n]
>
> But if I enter first line then press <Enter> I see:
> <interactive>:1:1 Not in scope: 'factorial'
>
> What am I doing wrong?

The code you entered is intended to be the content of a text file that can
be loaded into GHCi or Hugs. If you want to write it immediately into GHCi
you may write:

Prelude> let factorial :: Integer -> Integer; factorial n = product [1..n]