[Haskell] Status of Haskell'?

Tijn van der Zant robotijn at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 10:00:31 CET 2012

Hi All,

I think that there is more to take into account.
Haskell is growing as a language that people use to solve scientific and
business problems. It is starting to become more of a working language,
which is a very good thing of course. But this also means that Haskell
should accommodate the people who are only working with it (not developing
the language) and might not have a clue about the developers of the
language. I'm somewhere in between where I love to read about the
developments (this is my first post) and use it to program robots in my lab
(besides some other languages).
To accommodate the people who just want to use Haskell, we might have a
super-pragma (as previously proposed) and for those gaining skill it should
be possible to subtract pragmas until you have turned them all off and you
can call yourself a Haskell guru. Mind you, I am not one of those, simply
because I have to program in 5 languages for my work. For me, all those
pragmas are not a matter of ugliness, but more an annoyance. For starters
it is even worse. They ask questions such as: What do I turn on? Did I
already find a good pragma tutorial? Why do I need to know about pragmas if
it is already difficult to learn the language? By subtracting the pragmas
(or turning them off) people can learn what they actually do and improve
their code and their thinking about the language.
Quite often I need the get something done, and due to time pressure I do
not always have the luxury to make the code beautiful. And since it is
Haskell (if it compiles it probably does what you want) I do not always
care. For many users, pragmas are a Haskell concept that they can live
without in the first part of their Haskell programming career (and they
just turn a load of them on without even thinking about it what they do,
but hey, the code works now!...)
I think that we should accommodate the 'working programmers' and make their
life a little bit easier, so that it becomes easier to start programming in
Haskell and the language can be put to use by more people.
This does not exclude having a 'pragma prime' that includes proposals for
Haskell' of course. But it would help people starting with Haskell a lot
imho.

Cheers,

Tijn