[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: string-qq-0.0.2

Manfred Lotz manfred.lotz at arcor.de
Wed Jun 29 20:30:27 CEST 2011

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 07:13:19 -0700
Dave Bayer <bayer at cpw.math.columbia.edu> wrote:

> Part of the dominance of scripting languages is clean support for
> heredocs. So much of every arena of life comes down to getting "It's
> not about me!" I love Haskell but it doesn't get this. Imagine a
> document that's nominally Haskell, but about 80% some other language
> such as TeX (e.g. code for a self-generating textbook). Anything
> short of "these lines belong to the other language, with not a single
> intervening character in the way" simply doesn't work. So, yes,
> Haskell supports multi-line strings, but not heredocs, a subtle but
> crucial syntactic distinction. Restated, one can cut and paste many
> entire lines of foreign code into a heredoc, with no worries about
> conversion.
>
> Heredocs should be part of the base spec of any credible language,
> with the requirement "Can the language completely disappear behind
> another language, in the source file?" As I said, the key issue is
> getting "It's not about me!"
>
> On Jun 28, 2011, at 1:57 AM, Jean-Marie Gaillourdet wrote:
>
> > Hi Audrey,
> >
> > are you aware that Haskell already supports multi-line strings?
> >
> > foo = "This is a\
> >       \multi-line\
> >       \string!"
> >
> > See Section 2.6 of http://haskell.org/onlinereport/lexemes.html
> >
> > Regards,
> >  Jean

I fully agree. Heredocs should work like described here:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_document

I am a Haskell newbie, and thus don't know if a real heredoc facility
already exists. If not then it seems that string-qq does nicely jump in.
In this case: Thanks for providing this package.

--
Manfred