[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: string-qq-0.0.2

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 11:09:08 CEST 2011

2011/6/28 Jean-Marie Gaillourdet <jmg at gaillourdet.net>:
> Hi Audrey,
>
> are you aware that Haskell already supports multi-line strings?
>
> foo = "This is a\
>       \multi-line\
>       \string!"
>
> See Section 2.6 of http://haskell.org/onlinereport/lexemes.html

I've used this approach for multi-line strings; note first of all that
to make the examples equivalent you would need to add '\n' twice to
your definition of foo.  However, even without that it's rather
annoying to use and can be difficult to typeset correctly (though that
admittedly could be due to the indentation support in haskell-mode not
being up to par as it refuses to indent subsequent lines properly
after the String).

Another alternative would be:

foo = unlines
        [ "This is a"