[Haskell] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 187
Daniel Santa Cruz
dstcruz at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 05:08:38 CEST 2011
Welcome to issue 187 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in
the Haskell community. This release covers the week of June 12 to 18,
Ian Lynagh announced a new patchlevel release of GHC (7.0.4). "This
release contains a handful of bugfixes relative to 7.0.3, so we
Nicolas Wu released the third instance fo Haskell Parallel Digest.
Many thanks to Nick and Eric for putting this together.
Jeroen Janssen invited us to the 8th Ghent Functional Programming
Group Meeting, to be held on Thursday, the 30th of June, in the
Technicum building of Ghent University.
Quotes of the Week
* monochrom: if I were dying to learn covariance, I would not be
looking for entertainment, like, I'm dying, I only have 5 minutes
to learn covariance, thank you very much
* hpc: the categorical dual of a hippomorphism should be a
* ksf: but, as, maybe indeed or not apparently, english, in, or
especially in, punctuation matters is an utter mess.
* 00:56:03 <benmachine> @faq can haskell tell if I am
00:57:18 <lambdabot> The answer is: Yes! Haskell can
Top Reddit Stories
* Haskell: the Craft of Functional Programming, 3rd edition is out!
Domain: haskellcraft.com, Score: 44, Comments: 10
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/6ZInj
* GHC 7.0.4 is out
Domain: haskell.org, Score: 42, Comments: 2
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/oxSJH
* SafeHaskell pushed into GHC
Domain: haskell.org, Score: 39, Comments: 5
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/sOrjr
* Minimum footprint for a GHC program: or, think about your TSOs
Domain: stackoverflow.com, Score: 23, Comments: 0
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/eIF0o
* Pieces of Yesod: Inverting a Haskell Function
Domain: chplib.wordpress.com, Score: 21, Comments: 8
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/NFJNH
* The 2011 ICFP contest is starting in just 6 hours!
Domain: icfpcontest.org, Score: 20, Comments: 15
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/BS7XI
* A pattern for avoiding allocation : Inside T5
Domain: blog.ezyang.com, Score: 19, Comments: 12
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/thuRP
* Package of the Day: an improved runghc for fast repeated runs
Domain: hackage.haskell.org, Score: 16, Comments: 9
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/k6mQK
* The Supero Supercompiler
Domain: community.haskell.org, Score: 16, Comments: 2
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/vBeFO
* Galois Video: Building an Open-Source Autonomous Quad-Copter
Domain: corp.galois.com, Score: 15, Comments: 3
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/HZghO
Top StackOverflow Questions
* Why does performGC fail to release all memory?
votes: 17, answers: 2
Read on SO: http://goo.gl/dRgLG
* OSX, ghci, dylib, what is the correct way?
votes: 17, answers: 1
Read on SO: http://goo.gl/0s9Tu
* Why does Haskell's `head` crash on an empty list (or why
*doesn't* it return an empty list)? (Language philosophy)
votes: 15, answers: 6
Read on SO: http://goo.gl/tghQR
* Towards understanding CodeGen* in the Haskell LLVM bindings
votes: 13, answers: 1
Read on SO: http://goo.gl/LPZ2F
* What happens to you if you break the monad laws?
votes: 13, answers: 3
Read on SO: http://goo.gl/Trvny
* Is anyone using delimited continuations to do web development in Haskell?
votes: 12, answers: 3
Read on SO: http://goo.gl/hGjuB
* The concept of Bottom in Haskell
votes: 12, answers: 1
Read on SO: http://goo.gl/9b1ZJ
About the Haskell Weekly News
To help create new editions of this newsletter, please send stories to
dstcruz at gmail.com.
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz
More information about the Haskell