[Haskell] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 187

Daniel Santa Cruz dstcruz at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 05:08:38 CEST 2011

   Welcome to issue 187 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in
   the Haskell community. This release covers the week of June 12 to 18,
   2011.

Announcements

   Ian Lynagh announced a new patchlevel release of GHC (7.0.4). "This
   release contains a handful of bugfixes relative to 7.0.3, so we
   recommend upgrading."
   http://goo.gl/hOvdA

   Nicolas Wu released the third instance fo Haskell Parallel Digest.
   Many thanks to Nick and Eric for putting this together.
   http://goo.gl/s5muy

   Jeroen Janssen invited us to the 8th Ghent Functional Programming
   Group Meeting, to be held on Thursday, the 30th of June, in the
   Technicum building of Ghent University.
   http://goo.gl/G081Q

Quotes of the Week

   * monochrom: if I were dying to learn covariance, I would not be
     looking for entertainment, like, I'm dying, I only have 5 minutes
     to learn covariance, thank you very much

   * hpc: the categorical dual of a hippomorphism should be a
     giraffomorphism

   * ksf: but, as, maybe indeed or not apparently, english, in, or
     especially in, punctuation matters is an utter mess.

   * 00:56:03 <benmachine> @faq can haskell tell if I am
       lagging [...]
     00:57:18 <lambdabot> The answer is: Yes! Haskell can
       do that.

Top Reddit Stories

   * Haskell: the Craft of Functional Programming, 3rd edition is out!
     Domain: haskellcraft.com, Score: 44, Comments: 10
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/6ZInj
     Original: http://goo.gl/t0GAX

   * GHC 7.0.4 is out
     Domain: haskell.org, Score: 42, Comments: 2
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/oxSJH
     Original: http://goo.gl/EzWUP

   * SafeHaskell pushed into GHC
     Domain: haskell.org, Score: 39, Comments: 5
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/sOrjr
     Original: http://goo.gl/2Rw56

   * Minimum footprint for a GHC program: or, think about your TSOs
     Domain: stackoverflow.com, Score: 23, Comments: 0
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/eIF0o
     Original: http://goo.gl/dRgLG

   * Pieces of Yesod: Inverting a Haskell Function
     Domain: chplib.wordpress.com, Score: 21, Comments: 8
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/NFJNH
     Original: http://goo.gl/x2cz2

   * The 2011 ICFP contest is starting in just 6 hours!
     Domain: icfpcontest.org, Score: 20, Comments: 15
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/BS7XI
     Original: http://goo.gl/oqj0Y

   * A pattern for avoiding allocation : Inside T5
     Domain: blog.ezyang.com, Score: 19, Comments: 12
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/thuRP
     Original: http://goo.gl/IZCIh

   * Package of the Day: an improved runghc for fast repeated runs
     Domain: hackage.haskell.org, Score: 16, Comments: 9
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/k6mQK
     Original: http://goo.gl/a0DAC

   * The Supero Supercompiler
     Domain: community.haskell.org, Score: 16, Comments: 2
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/vBeFO
     Original: http://goo.gl/3QsmC

   * Galois Video: Building an Open-Source Autonomous Quad-Copter
     Domain: corp.galois.com, Score: 15, Comments: 3
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/HZghO
     Original: http://goo.gl/6AcMw

Top StackOverflow Questions

   * Why does performGC fail to release all memory?
     votes: 17, answers: 2
     Read on SO: http://goo.gl/dRgLG

   * OSX, ghci, dylib, what is the correct way?
     votes: 17, answers: 1
     Read on SO: http://goo.gl/0s9Tu

   * Why does Haskell's `head` crash on an empty list (or why
*doesn't* it return an empty list)? (Language philosophy)
     votes: 15, answers: 6
     Read on SO: http://goo.gl/tghQR

   * Towards understanding CodeGen* in the Haskell LLVM bindings
     votes: 13, answers: 1
     Read on SO: http://goo.gl/LPZ2F

   * What happens to you if you break the monad laws?
     votes: 13, answers: 3
     Read on SO: http://goo.gl/Trvny

   * Is anyone using delimited continuations to do web development in Haskell?
     votes: 12, answers: 3
     Read on SO: http://goo.gl/hGjuB

   * The concept of Bottom in Haskell
     votes: 12, answers: 1
     Read on SO: http://goo.gl/9b1ZJ

About the Haskell Weekly News

   To help create new editions of this newsletter, please send stories to
   dstcruz at gmail.com.

   Until next time,
   Daniel Santa Cruz