[Haskell] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 185
Daniel Santa Cruz
dstcruz at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 04:22:46 CEST 2011
Welcome to issue 180 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in
the Haskell community. This release covers the week of May 29 to Jun 4,
You can find the HTML version at: http://goo.gl/Tm1Qu
Sebastian Fischer wrote in to inform us of of a student internship
for parallel Haskell at the National Institute of Informatics in Tokyo.
The internship is for up to three months, between July and September
EIJIRO Sumii reminded us that the ICFP Programming Contest 2011 will
be starting on June 17.
Quotes of the Week
* Tom Murphy: Great! New I really can say "Come on! It's fun! I can
write foldr with foldl!"
* Cale: C++, Y U SO UGLY?
* xplat: nae, that'd be 'arr, my small example ain't half near as
yellow as a lily-livered spaniard! scupper me wi' a cutlass, arr.'
* Cale: rnf accidentally the entire data structure
Top Reddit Stories
* Haskell and parallelism in the Economist
Domain: economist.com, Score: 66, Comments: 5
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/rBnc1
* I have the world's coolest hoodie (X-post from r/programming)
Domain: imgur.com, Score: 28, Comments: 15
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/bk5wt
* An OpenGL in Haskell anecdote which illustrates the obvious,
HOpenGL is low level and imperative.
Domain: haskell.org, Score: 27, Comments: 24
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/QtDNy
* Yesod for non-Haskellers (also, for Haskellers)
Domain: yesodweb.com, Score: 27, Comments: 2
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/ekOQJ
* Fast forwarding lrand48()
Domain: blog.sigfpe.com, Score: 24, Comments: 0
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/Ki0in
* Silk (Haskell, semantic web start up) is hiring in Amsterdam
Domain: news.ycombinator.com, Score: 24, Comments: 0
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/GUFVP
* Nikki and the Robots 0.3 is out
Domain: joyridelabs.de, Score: 23, Comments: 7
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/w3yrF
* Introducing the Yesod Wiki
Domain: yesodweb.com, Score: 19, Comments: 0
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/4TStP
* Communicating Haskell Processes: The Long And The Short Of It
Domain: chplib.wordpress.com, Score: 19, Comments: 0
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/mC8cw
* What libraries from scientific computing have yet to be written?
Domain: self.haskell, Score: 17, Comments: 23
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/QXwyA
Top StackOverflow Questions
* "A proof is a program; the formula it proves is a type for the
votes: 17, answers: 0
Read on SO: http://goo.gl/LfzPM
* Writing foldl using foldr
votes: 16, answers: 2
Read on SO: http://goo.gl/O7I0Z
* Binary Serialization for Lists of Undefined Length in Haskell
votes: 13, answers: 1
Read on SO: http://goo.gl/pZkyI
* From C ++ to Haskell Classes and States
votes: 12, answers: 2
Read on SO: http://goo.gl/yYt9R
* Why does Haskell force data constructor's first letter to be upper case?
votes: 11, answers: 3
Read on SO: http://goo.gl/dnGIl
* Why is such a function definition not allowed in haskell ?
votes: 10, answers: 5
Read on SO: http://goo.gl/0RoHY
About the Haskell Weekly News
To help create new editions of this newsletter, please send stories to
dstcruz at gmail.com.
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz
More information about the Haskell