[Haskell] [JOB] NYU's Center for Genomics and Systems Biology seeks Functional Programmer

Ashish Agarwal agarwal1975 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 21:37:41 CEST 2011

<Relevance to this list: The posting below is for an OCaml programmer but
welcomes applications from Haskell programmers.>

Dear Functional Programmers,

I am pleased to announce a job opportunity at The Center for Genomics and
Systems Biology (CGSB) at New York University (NYU), located in the heart of
Manhattan. The position's main function will be to develop software in the
OCaml language to manage, analyze, and display the vast amounts of data
generated by next-generation sequencing technologies. NYU's strong
commitment to this field is represented by its $100M investment in the brand
new CGSB building, which houses the latest sequencing platforms and
excellent high performance computing facilities.

The position will support the computational needs of several experimental
labs by designing and building:
o A database for tracking samples, very large quantities of raw data, and
complex analysis results
o A website for users to submit new samples, monitor progress of their
workflow, and visualize data
o A system for distributing batch jobs to a cluster, accounting for
dependencies between jobs and cached results

All components are expected to follow good functional programming design.
There are no formal experience or education requirements. Although the
software will be written in OCaml, we welcome applicants with experience in
other functional languages, especially Haskell, F#, and SML. There is
flexibility in the exact nature of the position; you may expand your work to
machine learning, parallel programming, or any of the many topics relevant
to bioinformatics, so long as the core requirements of the position are
fulfilled. Experience in the following areas is a plus but not required:
bioinformatics, statistics, type theory, distributed computing, and UNIX
systems administration.

NYU researchers are using sequencing technologies to investigate basic
questions about the nature of life and to address fundamental problems in
human health. The very large datasets generated by these technologies pose
significant computational challenges for which the robust principles of
functional programming are ideally suited. I hope you will find this an
exciting opportunity.

If you are interested, please contact me with a CV and brief description of
your background. Thank you.

Ashish Agarwal
New York University
http://ashishagarwal.org