[Haskell] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 191

Daniel Santa Cruz dstcruz at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 01:34:13 CEST 2011

   Welcome to issue 191 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in
   the Haskell community. This release covers the week of July 10 to
   16, 2011.
   [1] http://haskell.org/

   You can find the HTML (and mobile) version of the issue at:
   http://contemplatecode.blogspot.com/2011/07/haskell-weekly-news-issue-191.html

Announcements

   Brent Yorgey put out a call for articles for the next Monad.Reader,
   which will be focused on parallelism and concurrency.
   [2] http://goo.gl/Qh6na

Quotes of the Week

   * PenguinOfDoom: Being enlightened gentlemen, we split all
     programming languages into two groups, sucks and doesn't-suck and
     put all of them into the first group.

   * cmccann: beta reducing the chainsaws can be tricky

   * kmc: edwardk measures API lifetime in hours

   * _Ray_: the difference in mathematical/CS knowledge of the average
     haskeller, and the average PHPer, is likely similar to that of the
     average PHPer and a banana

   * quicksilver: [on LYAH] by the time I read it I knew everything it
     was trying to teach, so I just thought "Yay! Cute caterpillar".

   * edwardk: shapr is the only person i know of who just decides to
     drive across the country with a car full of machetes

   * copumpkin is now known as contrapumpkin. contrapumpkin is now known
     as yoda. yoda is now known as coyoda.
        + Eduard_Munteanu: Yonoda
        + coedwardk: i keep reading coyoda as coyoneda
        + monochrom: I read it as toyota
        + Eduard_Munteanu: Mmm, the monad is strong in this one...
        + monochrom: rumours actually say that it should be toyoda but
          the japaneses want it easier on americans, so toyota

Top Reddit Stories

   * The Haskell School of Music - new book being written by Paul Hudak
     Domain: plucky.cs.yale.edu, Score: 66, Comments: 9
     On Reddit: [3] http://goo.gl/9Jjrd
     Original: [4] http://goo.gl/r54xG

   * Confusion between (.) and ($) operators
     Domain: self.haskell, Score: 41, Comments: 27
     On Reddit: [5] http://goo.gl/eFqRj
     Original: [6] http://goo.gl/eFqRj

   * Fitter, happier, more productive UTF-8 decoding
     Domain: serpentine.com, Score: 35, Comments: 6
     On Reddit: [7] http://goo.gl/o2REx
     Original: [8] http://goo.gl/dKB04

   * Static Single Assignment for Functional Programmers
     Domain: wingolog.org, Score: 30, Comments:
     On Reddit: [9] http://goo.gl/13sSP
     Original: [10] http://goo.gl/90MEH

   * [GSoC] Text/UTF-8: Initial results
     Domain: jaspervdj.be, Score: 29, Comments: 14
     On Reddit: [11] http://goo.gl/nJ4pJ
     Original: [12] http://goo.gl/uPkBl

   * Data Driven Programming in haskell - live screencast. What are
your tips/suggestions?
     Domain: entirelysubjective.com, Score: 29, Comments: 17
     On Reddit: [13] http://goo.gl/kIiX8
     Original: [14] http://goo.gl/28k6p

   * Ur/Web is hiring: web metaprogramming with class
     Domain: haskell.org, Score: 28, Comments: 11
     On Reddit: [15] http://goo.gl/nWf5S
     Original: [16] http://goo.gl/l9HhI

   * Monads in C++. Bartosz Milewski's Programming Cafe
     Domain: bartoszmilewski.wordpress.com, Score: 23, Comments: 0
     On Reddit: [17] http://goo.gl/IJnVa
     Original: [18] http://goo.gl/Bq4Lq

   * The Typeable class is changing
     Domain: haskell.org, Score: 22, Comments: 2
     On Reddit: [19] http://goo.gl/x1InO
     Original: [20] http://goo.gl/E2jVK

   * Reverse Engineering of Compiled Haskell
     Domain: self.haskell, Score: 18, Comments: 22
     On Reddit: [21] http://goo.gl/GCrfN
     Original: [22] http://goo.gl/GCrfN

Top StackOverflow Questions

   * Haskell - How to avoid typing the same context over and over again?
     votes: 18, answers: 3
     Read on SO: [23] http://goo.gl/0h1qF

   * Haskell iteratee: simple worked example of stripping trailing whitespace
     votes: 14, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [24] http://goo.gl/bYujx

   * Parametrised data type in Scala
     votes: 12, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [25] http://goo.gl/4NyZw

   * How to organize Haskell modules with instances: stick to data
type vs type class?
     votes: 10, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [26] http://goo.gl/Tivoh

   * On improving Haskell's performance compared to C in fibonacci
micro-benchmark
     votes: 10, answers: 3
     Read on SO: [27] http://goo.gl/q5O8Q

   * Constructing a tuple (or list) from already-existing objects -
what is the cost?
     votes: 9, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [28] http://goo.gl/UuKft

   * Writing A Function Polymorphic In A Type Family
     votes: 9, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [29] http://goo.gl/vPpoH

   * Haskell Lazy ByteString + read/write progress function
     votes: 9, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [30] http://goo.gl/LfNEN

About the Haskell Weekly News

   To help create new editions of this newsletter, please send stories to
   dstcruz at gmail.com.

   Until next time,
   Daniel Santa Cruz