[Haskell] [Haskell-cafe] Call for GUI examples - Functional Reactive Programming

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 09:16:54 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Heinrich Apfelmus
<apfelmus at quantentunnel.de> wrote:
> Dear Haskellers,
>
> Can GUI programming be liberated from the IO monad? Functional Reactive
> Programming (FRP) promises as much, and I'm trying to make this dream a
> reality with my [reactive-banana][] library. Having released version
> 0.4.0.0, I am now looking for example programs to direct the future
> evolution of the library.
>
> Do you know any *small GUI programs* that you would *like* to see
> *implemented with Functional Reactive Programming?*
>
> I'm sure that some of you
>
> * are interested in FRP and would like to learn from a few simple but
> beautiful examples
> * or have written small GUI programs that they are unhappy with because they
> were not purely functional
> * or have thought about FRP before and concocted a few examples that are
> very tricky to implement with FRP
> * or have written a nice little GUI application that simply makes a great
> example.
>
> I would love to hear your examples, so that I can try to convert them to FRP
> style and test my library against them!

How about a GUI for darcs?

As someone who remains largely uninterested in FRP, I think it's
mainly because toy examples can be done in many different styles
without too much trouble.  Even if the style itself is not very nice.
I guess what I'm saying is that I would find "real-world" examples
more compelling.  Things that are substantial programs that require
performance analysis, UI design work, etc.

Maybe you can make an example that convinces me :)

More and more things are moving to the cloud these days.  Can you make
a web app using FRP?

Jason