[Haskell] Call for Submissions: Special Poetry and Fiction Edition of the Monad.Reader

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Thu Jan 20 03:42:01 CET 2011

Submissions are now being accepted for a special POETRY AND FICTION
edition of the Monad.Reader.  Poems about Haskell, short stories about
Haskell, poems about poems about Haskell, elaborate monad tutorial
allegories, Haskell/Dinosaur Comics crossovers: all fair game!

If you want a bit of inspiration, check out the links at the end of
this message [1,2,3].  But you are a creative bunch, I'm sure you can
come up with all sorts of fun ideas and formats.

The submission deadline will be

                     **Friday, February 18**

but feel free to send submissions at any time between now and then.

Questions That May Be Asked Frequently (QTMBAF)

Q. Are you serious?
A. Absolutely.

Q. The deadline is only four weeks away!  It will take me at least
   five weeks to write my incredible masterpiece!
A. Are you serious?

Q. Will you take every submission or will there be some sort of
   selection process?
A. I hope to publish every submission, although not without going
   through a process of editing and suggested revisions.  Ultimately,
   it depends on the number of submissions.

Q. Can I submit the same poem multiple times to increase my chances?
A. I have written a sophisticated, 5000-line Haskell program to detect
   this and alter your submission in a subtle yet highly embarrassing
   (for you) way.

Q. Seriously, this is a dumb idea.
A. Please try to phrase your question in the form of a question.

Q. Seriously, is this a dumb idea?
A. No, I'm pretty sure it is awesome.

Submission Details
------------------

Submissions should be sent to (byorgey at cis.upenn.edu).  Simple text
submissions are fine for short submissions such as poetry.  For longer
submissions, LaTeX is appreciated.  See the guidelines here to get
started:

  http://themonadreader.wordpress.com/contributing/

If submitting in LaTeX is a hardship, text submissions will be
accepted.  Submissions in Microsoft Word format will be deleted and
then overwritten fifty times with random bits.

[1] http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Humor/Poetry
[2] http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haiku
[3] http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~byorgey/haskell-alphabet/index.html