[Haskell] Looking for a PhD position in functional programming?

Matt Peddie mpeddie at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 03:16:15 CEST 2011

Hi John,

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 10:06:42AM +0200, John Hughes wrote:
> We're advertising a position for a PhD student in the FP group at
> Chalmers, with closing date the 1st of September. Interested? Please
> apply!

I'm an aerospace engineer currently employed in wind power.  Most of
my work since graduating in 2009 has been in the areas of real-time,
mission-critical control and estimation.  This work is all done with
imperative programming languages.

I studied some Scheme as an undergraduate at MIT and have been
learning Haskell over the past year.  I'm having a great time, I'm
becoming much better at programming and I want to learn more, but the
impression I get from the job page you linked is that I don't have
enough functional programming experience in the real world to be
qualified for your position.

Is there any chance I'd be a reasonable fit for your position?  Is it
a good idea for me to apply?

Thanks,

Matt Peddie