[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: graphviz-2999.12.0.0

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 04:49:24 CEST 2011

It's been a while in coming (I started work on this at the end of last
year!) but I am pleased to announce the latest version of my graphviz
library [1], which acts as a wrapper around the Graphviz [2] suite of
graph visualisation utilities.

[1] : http://projects.haskell.org/graphviz/
[2]: http://graphviz.org

Major changes in this release (see the changelog [3] for a complete listing):

* A large focus on increasing usability:
    - Examples for all Dot representations against an existing Dot graph
    - Cut-down, easier to use Attribute wrapper (all Attributes still
available from Data.GraphViz.Attributes.Complete if you need any of
the others).
    - graphElemsToDot helps visualise non-FGL graphs (if you can list
all nodes and edges, you can visualise it!)

* Two new Dot representations:
    - One that allows graph-based operations (based upon FGL)
    - Another based upon Andy Gill's dotgen [4] (with permission!) for
easier embedding of relatively static graphs.

* Pure Haskell implementations of `dot -Tcanon` and `tred`.

* Now based upon Text rather than String, which improves performance
for both printing and parsing and also enforces UTF-8 encoding.

* Now easier to do custom I/O with Dot graphs.

[3]: http://projects.haskell.org/graphviz/changelog.html
[4]: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/dotgen

Unfortunately, this release is largely backwards incompatible in some
ways, but not too much.  Specifically, it didn't take me long to
migrate over Graphalyze [5] and SourceGraph [6], and most of that time
was spent changing over to the new, nicer functions for creating

[5]: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/Graphalyze
[6]: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/SourceGraph

Please let me know if there are any other API improvements that you'd
like to see to improve usage.  I am planning a tutorial (half of the
reason why this release took so long is that I kept thinking "this
functionality would be useful for the tutorial!"; this includes the
graph-based representation, the re-implementation of tred and
canonicalisation, etc.), which should be out in the next month or so
(I'm considering adding nicer syntax for record labels first).

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com