[Haskell] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 194
Daniel Santa Cruz
dstcruz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 04:05:09 CEST 2011
Welcome to issue 194 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in
the Haskell community. This release covers the week of July 31 to
August 6, 2011.
You can find a HTML rendition of this newsletter at:
Andy Gill has issued a call for papers for the 23rd Symposium on
Implementation and Application of Functinal Languages (IFL 2011) to be
held at the University of Kansan, in Lawrence, Kansas, USA. The
symposium is scheduled for October 3-5, 2011.
Anil Madhavapeddy issued a call for participation to the Commercial
Users of Functional Programming Workshop (CUFP 2011), which will be
co-located with the ICFP 2011 in Tokyo, Japan, on September 22-24,
The GHC team annouced the release of GHC 7.2.1
New and Updated Projects
* Eddie (Mike Meyer): A tool for shell scripting with haskell.
* HROOT (Ian-Woo Kim): Haskell binding to the ROOT analysis
* vector-algorithms (Dan Doel): Efficient Algorithms for Vector
* Alex (Simon Marlow): Update. A lexical analyser generator for
Quotes of the Week
* kmc: when computer scientists rebuild the world after the
apocalypse, we will have hanging gardens with trees that grow
* kmc: a wise man once said that the entire world can be described as
convex combinations of drugs, math, and cardboard
* roconnor: as a rule of thumb, avoid any packages shipped with the
* kmc: Try the new GHC IO Scheduler! It's got what plants crave!
* kmc: I refuse to believe that any loving god would invent the
* AlanPerlis: It is easier to write an incorrect program than
understand a correct one.
* [kmc] do you have a theory where the stack overflow is
[copumpkin] joel spolsky
* @faq is it possible to find things Haskell can't do?
[lambdabot] The answer is: Yes! Haskell can do that.
* kmc: Haskell isn't really designed by mathematicians. it's designed
by people who programmers would consider to be mathematicians and
mathematicians would consider to be programmers
Top Reddit Stories
* "I'm very tempted to want to move to a functional programming language.
Haskell or Ocaml or something" -John Carmack
Domain: youtube.com, Score: 120, Comments: 62
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/enBuK
Original:  http://goo.gl/WXfZy
* That seems like a challenge! Whatever happened to the hs->js compiler?
Domain: xkcd.com, Score: 48, Comments: 12
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/okkWU
Original:  http://goo.gl/HykNt
* The Conditional Choice Operator
Domain: zenzike.com, Score: 47, Comments: 15
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/npdIK
Original:  http://goo.gl/tdb4J
* Haskell For Kids! Introduction to My Upcoming Class
Domain: cdsmith.wordpress.com, Score: 47, Comments: 31
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/Gnmg9
Original:  http://goo.gl/y1pEF
* seL4, a formally verified version of the L4 microkernel, was
spec-prototyped in Haskell (PDF)
Domain: sigops.org, Score: 23, Comments: 8
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/fq0t9
Original:  http://goo.gl/mCrEu
* Hi guys, I made a Haskell to Clojure translator. Check it out :D
Domain: github.com, Score: 17, Comments: 21
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/Fxdwa
Original:  http://goo.gl/OL86U
* Moderator Guidelines : Them's the rules.
Domain: self.haskell, Score: 12, Comments: 0
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/UPz94
Original:  http://goo.gl/UPz94
* Library of conditional one-liners and combinators?
Domain: self.haskell, Score: 11, Comments: 39
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/dTmX1
Original:  http://goo.gl/dTmX1
* Zoom, a thor/rake-like task runner for Haskell (very alpha)
Domain: github.com, Score: 10, Comments: 3
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/KkW9v
Original:  http://goo.gl/LqYUE
* Yesod form overhaul
Domain: yesodweb.com, Score: 8, Comments: 1
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/biQuv
Original:  http://goo.gl/lxuYj
* ETA on the Haskell Platform 2011.4.0.0 release?
Domain: self.haskell, Score: 8, Comments: 3
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/gydgP
Original:  http://goo.gl/gydgP
Top StackOverflow Questions
* Speed comparison C vs python vs erlang vs haskell
votes: 50, answers: 8
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/XEZ9Z
* Recursion schemes for dummies?
votes: 37, answers: 2
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/nnhGb
* Is it possible to place inequality constraints on haskell type
votes: 11, answers: 1
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/VnexA
* Haskell: Prefer pattern-matching or member access?
votes: 9, answers: 6
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/E225N
* Difference between TVar and TMVar
votes: 7, answers: 2
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/lmn1R
* Java's Interface and Haskell's type class: differences and
votes: 7, answers: 6
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/fMGpH
* Haskell code accompanying the Paul Hudak 1994 US Navy experiment paper
votes: 7, answers: 0
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/fpVO5
About the Haskell Weekly News
To help create new editions of this newsletter, please send stories to
dstcruz at gmail.com.
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Haskell