[Haskell] ANN: Hayoo! 2.1

"Timo B. Hübel" t.h at gmx.info
Wed Sep 1 10:33:06 EDT 2010

Hi,

We are pleased to announce the next major release 2.1 of Hayoo!, the
Haskell API search engine with find-as-you-type and suggestions.

Visit Hayoo! here: http://holumbus.fh-wedel.de/hayoo

What's new?

Thanks to Uwe Schmidt, we have completely revamped the indexer, which
now also crawls package information from Hackage. Hence, Hayoo! now
searches package names, package categories, package descriptions etc.,
too, and shows you some package results along with the functions found
(some of you may have noticed this already, since this is live for
testing purposes since a few months).

For example, this will find you all packages in the category
"Algorithms" that will do something with "sat":

category:algorithms sat

This will find you some strict datastructures (i.e. synopsis contains
"strict" and category contains "data"):

synopsis:strict category:data

As we now have package information present in the search index, the
algorithm for ranking the results has been adjusted to mainly depend on
reverse package dependencies. Nevertheless, we are still trying to
optimize this.

The new indexer also supports incremental index updates, which made a
rebuild of the whole infrastructure around it possible. This way, we are
now able to provide daily index updates. Useful figures about the
current index are shown below the query input field.

Additionally, we have made some optimizations and performance
improvements. This allowed us to leverage the restrictions on the query
length and hence it is now possible to search for any single character
(try searching for "s").

In the result display, the whole function description is now included
and its formatting is preserved. Internally, the HTML rendering part has
been completely rewritten, which hopefully allows for faster adoption of
new features.

Please let us know about any issues or suggestions. Especially some
opinions about how to integrate the package information in the result
display would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Timo