[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: hdaemonize 0.4

Frederick Ross madhadron at gmail.com
Thu May 27 04:24:39 EDT 2010

I am pleased to announce the release of hdaemonize 0.4.  hdaemonize is
a library to handle the details of writing daemons for unix systems.

Changes from 0.3 to 0.4:
* I have taken over as maintainer from Anton Tayanovskyy.  Many thanks
to Anton for getting the library started.
* Added a field to the CreateDaemon type to specify actions to run
before dropping privileges, for example, binding trusted ports.  The
action has type IO a.  Immediately after running it, the program drops
privileges, then runs the main daemon routine with the output of the
action as its argument.

Changes from 0.2 to 0.3 (since I think it didn't get an announcement):
* Big API change.  In analogy with several other Haskell interfaces,
there is now a datatype CreateDaemon which specifies details such as
the user to switch to after dropping privileges, the name to run, and
arguments to syslog.

I am using the library in a couple of daemons, which have driven all
the API changes in the last two versions.  It is stable enough for
general use.  There is Haddock documentation, but I would love
comments on where it is unclear or ambiguous.

--
Frederick Ross
Bioinformatics and Biostatistics Core Facility