[Haskell] Re: [Haskell-cafe] Work on Video Games in Haskell

Alex Queiroz asandroq at gmail.com
Wed May 26 09:32:46 EDT 2010

Hallo,

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Dave Bayer
<bayer at cpw.math.columbia.edu> wrote:

> Read "Coders at Work": The most reasoned, pragmatic objection to Lisp family language syntax over e.g. Haskell syntax is simply code density. This consideration gets up-ended if one's primary constraint is entering code through a novel, limited bandwidth interface. Lisp's parentheses are an historical artifact tied to an input method that iPad-like devices will help supplant; even on keyboards one can get rid of most parentheses by the Haskell $ op and resolving the "missing outline levels" issue. One actually thinks in syntax trees, and could enter them directly as trees through a gesture-based editor that understood the grammar, your choices and their probabilities.

     Have you ever tried the paredit minor mode for Emacs? It's a
minor mode that keeps parentheses balanced no matter what, with
several commands like slurp the next or previous s-expression, or barf
the next or previous s-expression. Bound to gestures, these commands
would make editing Lisp code a no-brainer in touch-oriented devices.
     I know everybody is tired of hearing this, but Lisp's syntactic
power comes from its simplicity and uniformity.

-alex
http://www.ventonegro.org/