[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: lhc-0.10

Lemmih lemmih at gmail.com
Mon May 24 16:53:37 EDT 2010

Hiya,

It's time for a new release of LHC.

LHC is a backend for the Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compiler, adding
low-level, whole-program optimization to the system. It is based on
Urban Boquist’s GRIN language, and using GHC as a frontend, we get
most of its great extensions and features.
Essentially, LHC uses the GHC API to convert programs to external core
format - it then parses the external core, and links all the necessary
modules together into a whole program for optimization. We currently
have our own base library (heavily and graciously taken from GHC.)
This base library is similar to GHC’s (module-names and all,) and it
is compiled by LHC into external core and the package is stored for
when it is needed. This also means that if you can output GHC’s
external core format, then you can use LHC as a backend.

Changes in this release include:
 * LHC requires GHC-6.12 instead of GHC-6.10.
 * Much simplified support infrastructure to help minimize software decay.

Installation instructions can be found in this blog post:
http://lhc-compiler.blogspot.com/2010/05/limited-release.html

It should be noted that LHC is in its infancy and should be seen more
as a toy than anything else. So, if you want a good Haskell compiler,
use GHC. If you want play around with GRIN, LHC might be right for
you.

The following URLs are of relevance:
Wiki: http://lhc.seize.it/
Blog: http://lhc-compiler.blogspot.com/