[Haskell] Woes on MacOS 10.6 - linking issues

Jean-Marie Gaillourdet jmg at gaillourdet.net
Sat Jun 12 09:56:02 EDT 2010

Hi Brett,

On 11.06.2010, at 04:53, Brett Giles wrote:

> I seem to have Gtk2HS 0.11 installed, but not quite working. Interestingly, I can run a demo, such as the hello/World.hs example, directly in ghci. However, when I try to do a ghc --make on any code containing gtk2hs I get a link error like this:
>
> Undefined symbols:
>  "_iconv_close", referenced from:
>      _hs_iconv_close in libHSbase-4.2.0.0.a(iconv.o)
>     (maybe you meant: _hs_iconv_close)
>  "_iconv", referenced from:
>      _hs_iconv in libHSbase-4.2.0.0.a(iconv.o)
>     (maybe you meant: _hs_iconv_open, _hs_iconv , _hs_iconv_close )
>  "_iconv_open", referenced from:
>      _hs_iconv_open in libHSbase-4.2.0.0.a(iconv.o)
>     (maybe you meant: _hs_iconv_open)
> ld: symbol(s) not found

I've had the exactly that same issue an hour ago, when I was trying to cabal install threadscope on Snow Leopard 10.6.3.
I managed to build it using

	cabal install threadscope --extra-lib-dir=/usr/lib

The resulting binary seems to work fine.

> I do have libiconv installed as a universal library via macports. gtk, glade etc., are also universal installed via macports.

But, I did not manage to build glade with macports as a universal binary. I had to force it to be i386 only, since evolution-data-server failed to compile. How, did you manage to build a universal binary?

Sorry, for the off-topic question.

Best regards,
Jean