[Haskell] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 148 - January 31, 2010

jfredett at gmail.com jfredett at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 15:17:00 EST 2010

Haskell Weekly News
http://sequence.complete.org/hwn/20100131
Issue 148 - January 31, 2010
   Welcome to issue 148 of HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the
   [1]Haskell community.

   Hello Haskellers, this week begins with a correction. Last week, I
   noted a blogpost from one 'Bartek Paczesiowa', I was rapidly informed
   of the complete wrongness of this citation. In fact, Bartek's last name
   is, and I hope the Unicode makes it through here, 'wikowsk,' and
   Paczesiowa is his nickname. Apologies to Bartek, as penance I've reread
   your [2]excellent post on your blog. That said, this week's HWN if
   packed full of awesome potential naming errors, so I'll let you get to
   it. Thus, Haskellers, Your Haskell Weekly News!

Announcements

   haskell-src-exts-1.8.0. Niklas Broberg [3]announced a new release of
   haskell-src-exts.

   Elerea 1.2.3 with some enhancements. Patai Gergely [4]announced his
   addition of some new features to the experimental branch of his FRP
   library, Elerea.

   hakyll-1.3. Jasper Van der Jeugt [5]announced the release of hakyll
   1.3, including several new improvments and changes.

   ThreadScope 0.1. Satnam Singh [6]announced the release of Threadscope
   0.1, the premier graphical thread profiler.

   The Monad.Reader Issue 15. Brent Yorgey [7]announced the most recent
   issue of the Monad.Reader, a monthly publication of Haskell Related
   expostition and discusson articles.

   afv-0.1.0. Tom Hawkins [8]announced a afv-0.1.0, an infinite state
   model checker for verifying assertions about embedded C programs.

   adaptive-tuple 0.1.0. John Lato [9]announced the initial release of
   adaptive-tuple, his library for combining the space-efficient
   properties of tuples with the utility of lists.

   Job opportunities at Citrix Systems (Cambridge, UK). Matthias Goergens
   [10]announced a opportunity available at Citrix Systems in Cambridge,
   UK.

Discussion

   OT: Literature on translation of lambda calculus to combinators. Dusan
   Kolar [11]asked about texts regarding translating the untyped lambda
   calculus to a combinator calculus such as SKI or BCKW.

   Linguistic hair-splitting. Andrew Coppin [12]asked an interesting
   offtopic linguistic question about what we call a number, a field, an
   element, and a monad.

   Adopting hpodder? John Goerzen [13]asked if there were any interested
   adoptive maintainers for his hpodder project. This is an excellent
   opportunity for a Haskell Neophyte to help the community and learn
   about project management hopefully we can find hpodder a new
   maintainer!

Blog noise

   [14]Haskell news from the [15]blogosphere. Blog posts from people new
   to the Haskell community are marked with >>>, be sure to welcome them!
     * Holumbus: [16]HolHac at FH-Wedel.
     * ++Arch Haskell Team++: [17]Arch Linux updates to GHC 6.12.
     * Neil Brown: [18]Exploring a Communicating Sequential Processes
       EDSL.
     * The GHC Team: [19]Yielding more improvements in parallel
       performance.

Quotes of the Week

     * Berengal: I'm going to write a module Hmm with a (.) operator in
       it, so I can go 'Hmm..' in my code
     * clarkb,: in CS they dont teach you to program...You learn Data
       Structures, Algorithms, Logic, Discrete Math, Language theory, etc
       and happen to pick up programming on the way
     * dons: hey i love core. i dream about unboxes
     * cale: Differential geometry is the study of manifolds under change
       of notation.
     * kmc: the irony being, the abstraction that gets the most
       complaining and general noise [from imperative programmers] is the
       one that captures imperative programming
     * kmc: i am Jack's monad operator
     * arw: ...and a basic law of haskell is, 50% of all documentation has
       to be monad tutorials :)
     * Cale: Here [#haskell], we feed trolls until they explode.
     * bartek: It took me 2 years of studying teachings of Oleg Kiselyov
       (who was raised among types, where he learned to speak their
       language), but finally, I have the solution.
     * kmc: I think 250 milliolegs is enough to kill an elephant
       olsner: ... to kill an elephant - in the type system!
     * syntaxglitch: every time I have a cool idea about something that
       might work in Haskell, I go check Oleg's stuff and find that
       1) he already did it
       2) thought it out better
       3) did it incidentally while working on something way more
       interesting
     * DRMacIver:: I dread to think what category theory would look like
       after the software engineering world had got their grubby paws on
       it. Enterprise variant functors. Commutative UML diagrams.

About the Haskell Weekly News

   New editions are posted to [20]the Haskell mailing list as well as to
   [21]the Haskell Sequence and [22]Planet Haskell. [23]RSS is also
   available, and headlines appear on [24]haskell.org.

   To help create new editions of this newsletter, please see the
   information on [25]how to contribute. Send stories to jfredett . at .
   gmail . dot . com. The darcs repository is available at darcs get
   [26]http://patch-tag.com/r/jfredett/HWN2/pullrepo HWN2 .