[Haskell] Monads Terminology Question

Bernie Pope florbitous at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 21:15:13 EDT 2010

On 12 April 2010 10:39, Mark Snyder <muddsnyder at yahoo.com> wrote:
>     I'm wondering what the correct terminology is for the extra functions
> that we define with monads.  For instance, State has get and put, Reader has
> ask and local, etc.  Is there a good name for these?  I've been calling them
> the "non-proper morphisms" (as opposed to the "proper" morphisms unit/return
> and bind).  But I don't know if others call them that.  Is there any
> accepted phrase for them?

I don't know about "accepted" but I've seen them called "effect basis"
in the Unimo paper by Chuan-kai Lin:


For example he says:

   "The effect basis of the state monad consists of two computations:
get, which retrieves the current state, and put s, which changes the
current state to s."


More information about the Haskell mailing list