[Haskell] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 131 - Semptember 25, 2009

Joe Fredette jfredett at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 12:18:01 EDT 2009

This week is an experiment, I'm eliminating the mail client from the sendout,
and simply using sendmail directly. If this doesn't fix the line ending problem,
then I'm pretty sure it's a software issue, and not a client issue. If you
notice problems, please email me at this address, put [HWN] in the subject
line so my filters will catch it. Please _don't_ email me if there are no
problems.

Thanks,

/Joe

Haskell Weekly News
http://sequence.complete.org/hwn/20090926
Issue 133 - September 26, 2009
   Welcome to issue 133 of HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the
   [1]Haskell community.

   This week, we have a few new libraries, some interesting discussion
   about EDSLs, a comment from Oleg, and dons extolling the virtues of
   SCIENCE! On the new HWN software front, I've decided to jump right into
   something I had planned for far further down the development chain.
   Specifically, rather than scraping GMane for messages, I've been
   working on a way to grab the messages directly from the mailing-lists.
   I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to create links as they are now for
   the messages, but one crisis at a time. Till next week, here's the
   Haskell Weekly News!

Announcements

   epoll bindings 0.2. Toralf Wittner [2]announced the release of epoll
   bindings 0.2 available [3]here. Epoll is an I/O event notification
   facility for Linux similar to poll but with good scaling
   characteristics. This release adds a buffer abstraction on top of the
   existing low-level bindings, so client code can write and read to
   buffers without having to deal directly with the underlying epoll event
   handling.

   diagrams 0.2.1, and planned major improvements. Brent Yorgey
   [4]announced version 0.2.1 of the diagrams library, available now on
   [5]Hackage. This minor release which fixes a few bugs and adds a few
   new combinators, most notably a grid layout combinator contributed by
   Ganesh Sittampalam.

   Workflow-0.5.5, TCache-0.6.4 RefSerialize-0.2.4. Alberto G. Corona
   [6]announced Workflow 0.5.5. Workflow provides a monad transformer that
   encapsulates any monad in a state monad that bring automatic state
   logging and recovery. A workflow can be viewed as a thread that persist
   across planeed or unplanned application shutdowns. When recovering the
   execution is resumed at the last action that was logged. The process
   continues at the same state as if not interruption took place.

   graphviz-2999.5.1.1. Ivan Lazar Miljenovic [7]announced version
   2999.5.1.1 of the [8]graphviz library. This is another bug-fix release,
   fixing the problem spotted by Kathleen Fisher where Dot keywords need
   to be explicitly quoted if used as labels, etc. There is no change to
   the API.

   histogram-fill, library for creating histograms. Khudyakov Alexey
   [9]announced [10]histogram-fill. histogram-fill provides a generic and
   convenient API for making histograms. Features include, multiple
   simultaneous histogram creation, Immutable histograms, and
   Serialization to and from human readable text.

   Darcs Hacking Sprint - 14-15 November Vienna. Eric Kow [11]announced
   the third Darcs Hacking Sprint. Which will take place 14-15 November,
   2009 at the University of Technology, Vienna, Austria. Anybody who
   wants to hack on Darcs (or Camp, Focal, SO6, etc) -- Beginners
   especially -- are welcome!

   2nd CFP: TLDI 2010. Andrew Kennedy [12]announced a second call for
   papers for TLDI2010, the Types in Language Design and Implementation
   Workshop.

   darcs 2.3.1: better docs, fewer bugs. Reinier Lamers [13]announced a
   new stable version of darcs, with bugfixes from 2.3.0, improved
   documentation, and removal of the old autoconf build system.

   TFM09: Call for Participation (FMWeek, Eindhoven, November 2009). J.N.
   Oliveira [14]announced a Call for Participation in TFM2009 2nd Int. FME
Conference on Teaching Formal Methods Friday, November 6th 2009,
   co-located with FM2009 : 16th Int. Symposium on Formal Methods
   Eindhoven, the Netherlands, November 2 - November 6, 2009.

Discussion

   Monad Tutorial in C++. Adrian May [15]wrote a tutorial about monads in
   some other niche language...

   Beginning of a meta-Haskell. Oleg -- [16]as if he needs any
   introduction -- commented on things far above my ability to understand.
   Evidently, however, it involves extensible, modular interpreters in the
   ``tagless final'' style. It was a reply to an earlier thread [17]here.

   An issue with EDSLs in the ``finally tagless'' tradition. Brad Larsen
   [18]talked about his run in with [19]the expression problem while
   experimenting with EDSLs.

Blog noise

   [20]Haskell news from the [21]blogosphere. Blog posts from people new
   to the Haskell community are marked with >>>, be sure to welcome them!
     * Bryan O'Sullivan: [22]Riddle me this.
     * David Amos: [23]Finite geometries, part 3: Points in PG(n,Fq).
       David's continuing series on Finite Geometries.
     * Neil Brown: [24]Concurrent Pearl: The Expanding Prime Pipeline.
     * Mikael Vejdemo Johansson (Syzygy-): [25][MATH198] Lecture 1 now
       online. Mikael's first Category Theory Lecture is up online.
     * Brent Yorgey: [26]diagrams 0.2.1, and future plans.
     * Alex McLean: [27]hackpact week 4. Part of the continuing series on
       Alex's hackpact progress.
     * Manuel M T Chakravarty: [28]Heads Up: GHC devs on Macs - GHC's
       testsuite crashes spotlight indexer on SL.
     * Clint Moore: [29]8 Cores of Awesome.
     * Bryan O'Sullivan: [30]Video of my CUFP keynote.
     * Chris Smith: [31]Thoughts on Hackage and the Haskell Platform.
     * Manuel M T Chakravarty: [32]Haskell Bindings to C -> c2hs.
     * Neil Brown: [33]Functions into processes, using arrows.
     * Brent Yorgey: [34]Functional MetaPost.
     * Malcolm Wallace: [35]Haskell Symposium 2009 - videos now online.
     * DEFUN 2009: [36]DEFUN and CUFP 2009 registration are now open!.
     * Chris Smith: [37]Type Classes With An Easier Example.
     * Darcs: [38]darcs weekly news #41.
     * Greg Bacon: [39]Haskell craps.
     * Bryan O'Sullivan: [40]A new pseudo-random number generator for
       Haskell.
     * Thomas M. DuBuisson: [41]HacPDX is Coming.
     * Dan Piponi (sigfpe): [42]More Parsing With Best First Search.
     * Osfameron: [43]Coin Tricks.

Quotes of the Week

     * lilac: ponders whether unsafePerformIO would be better as
       simonSaysPerformIO
     * bos: [On the type signature of hPrintf] This makes me a sad Irish
       panda.
     * ksf: (But if (on the other hand)) (I think only a number in general
       (whether it be five or a hundred)) (this thought is rather the
       representation of a method (whereby a multiplicity (for instance a
       thousand) may be represented (in an image in conformity with a
       certain concept)) than the image itself.
     * dons: ah, via the magic of SCIENCE
     * dobblego: many of my colleagues used to be [fond of ruby] as well
       until I was let loose on them
     * dons: (on whether a library is wanted) *yes* put it on Hackage!
     * BMeph: (about parsec) 'Cause it's light-years ahead of the
       competition!
     * switch: Comeon people! You make the news!
     * ray: I think programmers make the worst programmers, also the worst
       people, and I'm saying this having not looked at programming reddit
       in a while.
     * Orclev: ... a lot of haskell still looks greek to me, and I'm not
       talking about lambdas.
     * Jason Dusek: "Some day, we're going to need a short, catchy name
       for Cabal packages. Let's call them cabbages." [see
       http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/63649].
     * Reinier Lamers: If we keep up the current pace of performance
       hacking, darcs will be complete before you even hit the enter key
       in a few years
     * Trent Buck: [To Reiner Lamers] With the appropriate (ie unbuffered)
       terminal, this is already the case for interactive prompts.

About the Haskell Weekly News

   New editions are posted to [44]the Haskell mailing list as well as to
   [45]the Haskell Sequence and [46]Planet Haskell. [47]RSS is also
   available, and headlines appear on [48]haskell.org.

   To help create new editions of this newsletter, please see the
   information on [49]how to contribute. Send stories to jfredett . at .
   gmail . dot . com. The darcs repository is available at darcs get
   [50]http://patch-tag.com/r/HWN2/home .