[Haskell] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 131 - September 19, 2009

Joe Fredette jfredett at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 13:22:05 EDT 2009

Hopefully the line endings come out okay this week, I did a test
before sending it to the list, please let me know if you notice
anything awry. Just put a [HWN] in the subject line so my filter's
will catch it. </metaeditorial>

Haskell Weekly News
http://sequence.complete.org/hwn/20090918
Issue 131 - September 18, 2009
    Welcome to issue 131 of HWN, a newsletter covering developments in
the
    [1]Haskell community.

    Last week, I received an email from Mark Wotton about his project
    [2]Hubris. I totally forgot to put it in the HWN last week, too busy
    trying to figure out all the tools. So, I thought I'd make it up and
    give him some special editorial status this week. Hubris is a bridge
    between Ruby and Haskell, allowing you to call Haskell from Ruby.
It's
    very cool, I highly suggest playing with it. Also, I've been
posting a
    bit about the new HWN tools (dubbed "HWN2") on my [3]blog, there is
    also a repo up at [4]patch-tag which will have all the code. If
there
    is some interest in helping me, I'll try to come up with a TODO
    list/Trac.

Announcements

    hssqlppp, sql parser and type checker, pre-alpha. Jake Wheat
    [5]announced his parser/type checker for SQL. It currently parses a
    subset of PostGreSQL and PL/pgSQL, and can type check some
statements.

    LambdaINet-0.1.0, Graphical Interaction Net Evaluator for Optimal
    Evaluation. Paul L [6]announced a LambdaINet 0.1.0, available on
    [7]Hackage. LambdaINet implements an interaction net based optimal
    evaluator. With an interactive graphical interface allowing the
user to
    view and directly manipulate the interaction net.

    arbtt-0.1. Joachim Breitner [8]announced the Automatic Rule-Based
Time
    Tracking tool on hackage. he has an introduction available [9]here.

    A statistics library. Bryan O'Sullivan [10]announced the
imaginatively
    named [11]statistics library. Which supports common discrete and
    continuous probability distributions, Kernel density estimation,
    Auto-correlation analysis, Functions over sample data, Quantile
    estimation, and Re-sampling techniques.

    CFP: JSC Special Issue on Automated Verification and Specification
of
    Web Systems. [12]A Special Issue of the Journal of symbolic
computation
    was announced. This issue is related to the topics of the Automated
    Specification and Verification of Web Systems Workshop (WWV'09).
Read
    the announcement for more details.

    Haskeline 0.6.2. Judah Jacobson [13]announced the release of
Haskeline
    0.6.2, available [14]here. Improvements over the last version
include,
    new emacs and vi bindings, a new preference to remove repeated
history
    entries, recognition of page-up and page-down keys, and more.

    PEPM'10 - Last CFP (Submission: 6 Oct 09, Notification: 29 Oct 09).
    Janis Voigtlaender [15]announced the Last Call for Papers for
PEPM'10,
    see the announcement for more details.

    Videos of HIW 2009. Malcolm Wallace [16]announced videos of all the
    presentations/discussions at the recent Haskell Implementers
Workshop
    2009, in Edinburgh, are now [17]online. The program of talks is
    available [18]here.

    Unification in a Commutative Monoid (cmu 1.1) and a new release of
    Abelian group unification and matching (agum 2.2). John D. Ramsdell
    [19]announced cmu 1.1, which provides unification in a commutative
    monoid, also know as ACU-unification. The core computation finds the
    minimal non-zero solutions to homogeneous linear Diophantine
equations.
    The linear equation solver has been place in a separate module so it
    can be used for other applications. He also announced agum 2.2,
which
    provides unification and matching in an Abelian group, also know as
    AG-unification and matching.

    graphviz-2999.5.1.0. Ivan Lazar Miljenovic [20]announced a bug-fix
    release of the GraphViz package, no major API changes occurred.

    levmar-0.2, bindings-levmar-0.1.1. Bas van Dijk and Roel van Dijk
    announced [21]new [22]versions of the levmar and bindings-levmar
    packages. New features include automatic calculation of the Jacobian
    via Conal Elliot's automatic differentiation from his vector-space
    library.

    CmdArgs - easy command line argument processing. Neil Mitchell
    [23]announced CmdArgs 0.1. CmdArgs is a library for parsing
    command-line arguments. It offers several improvements over GetOpts,
    namely that the Command Line Argument Processors are shorter and
    CmdArgs can support multiple-mode command lines such as those
found in
    darcs, cabal, hpc, etc.

    OpenGL 2.4.0.1. Sven Panne [24]announced a new version of the OpenGL
    package, this version fixes a bug that didn't make it into the
previous
    release.

    OpenGLRaw 1.1.0.0. Sven Panne [25]announced a new version of the
    OpenGLRaw package has been uploaded to Hackage.

Discussion

    Thank you guys. Cristiano Paris took some time to thank us all from
    -Cafe for helping him learn Haskell. You're welcome, Cristiano!

    Unicode lexing in GHC and GHCi. Sean McLaughlin [26]asked about why
    certain unicode characters parsed in GHCi without error, but not in
    compiled code.

    Help with FFI. Jose Prous [27]asked for some help with the foreign
    function interface.

    Ambiguous type variable with subclass instance. Andy Gimblett
[28]asked
    about a particular ambiguous type error

    Haskell -> .NET. Peter Verswyvelen [29]asked about the possibilities
    for a .NET version of Haskell.

    A thought about liberating Haskell's syntax. George Pollard
    [30]suggested a new way to do templates, so that brace-like syntax
    could be added without having to seriously hack GHC.

Blog noise

    [31]Haskell news from the [32]blogosphere. Blog posts from people
new
    to the Haskell community are marked with >>>, be sure to welcome
them!
      * Neil Brown: [33]Concurrent Pearl: The Sort Pump.
      * Roman Cheplyaka: [34]CCC #6: HWN. A comic revealing the _real_
        reason Brent left the HWN to me.
      * Don Stewart (dons): [35]Data.Binary: performance improvements
for
        Haskell binary parsing.
      * Thomas M. DuBuisson: [36]Kernel Modules in Haskell.
      * Neil Brown: [37]Boids Simulation: Part 4.
      * Edward Kmett: [38]Iteratees, Parsec, and Monoids, Oh My!.
      * Edward Kmett: [39]Remodeling Precision.
      * Alex McLean: [40]Hackpact documentation (week 3). The
continuation
        of Alex's series on Hackpact
      * Luke Palmer: [41]IO-free splittable supply.
      * Thomas M. DuBuisson: [42]Kernel Modules in Haskell.
      * Bryan O'Sullivan: [43]A video demo of my Haskell benchmarking
        framework.
      * Don Stewart (dons): [44]Haskell for Everyone: Hackage and the
        Haskell Platform : Haskell Implementers Workshop 2009.
      * David Sankel: [45]Applied Functional Programming: Part 1.
      * Neil Brown: [46]Boids Simulation: Part 4.
      * Darcs: [47]darcs weekly news #40.
      * Chris Smith: [48]On Inverses of Haskell Functions.
      * David Amos: [49]Finite geometries, part 1: AG(n,Fq). A multipart
        series from David, part of his Haskell For Maths project.

Quotes of the Week

      * quicksilver: no, you mispelt >> as ;
      * dons: Cale's my alter-ego. I talk about applications and
        benchmarking, he talks about theory and math. We've been doing
this
        for years :)
      * gwern: #haskell: because none of us are as offtopic as all of us
      * some-crazy-hwn-editor: A monster! HAH! It will not be a monster,
        but a god! ALL SHALL BOW BEFORE MY SPAWN AND DESPAIR! ALL HAIL
THE
        PROGRAMMER CHILD! ALL HAIL THE HYPNOTOAD!
      * AlanJPerlis: Purely applicative languages are poorly applicable.

About the Haskell Weekly News

    New editions are posted to [50]the Haskell mailing list as well as
    [51]the Haskell Sequence and [52]Planet Haskell. [53]RSS is also
    available, and headlines appear on [54]haskell.org.

    To help create new editions of this newsletter, please see the
    information on [55]how to contribute. Send stories to jfredett .
at .
    gmail . dot . com. The darcs repository is available at darcs get
    [56]http://patch-tag.com/r/HWN2/home .