[Haskell] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 130 - September 12, 2009

Joe Fredette jfredett at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 13:11:59 EDT 2009

Haskell Weekly News
http://sequence.complete.org/hwn/20090912
Issue 130 - September 12, 2009
    Welcome to issue 130 of HWN, a newsletter covering developments in
the
    [1]Haskell community.

    Welcome to issue 130 of HWN! In the last week, HWN has gotten a new
    editor, me! I'm Joe Fredette (jfredett on IRC, reddit, and
everywhere
    else), and I'll be taking over for Brent (byorgey) from now on. I
think
    I speak for the whole community when I thank him for his excellent
work
    on the HWN and associated tools. I have a few ideas about how I
want to
    change HWN for the better, and hopefully you'll like them too! So,
    without further ado, The Haskell Weekly News!

Announcements

    Looking for a new HWN editor. Brent Yorgey [2]went looking for a new
    editor for the HWN, and that's how you got me! See the editorial for
    more details.

    CfPart: FMICS 2009, 2-3 November 2009. Christophe Joubert
[3]announced
    FMICS 2009 - FIRST CALL FOR PARTICIPATION, 14th International
Workshop
    on Formal Methods for Industrial Critical Systems. November 2-3,
2009

    Call for Posters: APLAS 2009. Kiminori Matsuzaki [4]announced a CALL
    FOR POSTER PRESENTATIONS The Seventh ASIAN Symposium on Programming
    Languages and Systems (APLAS 2009) December 14 - 16, 2009 Seoul
    National University, Seoul, Korea.

    hecc-0.1. Marcel Fourné [5]announced the first release of hecc,
the
    Elliptic Curve Cryptography Library for Haskell. Implemented are
    affine, projective, jacobian and modified jacobian point formats
with
    the basic operations. Included as an Example is a basic ECDH as
well as
    a basic speed test.

    HLint 1.6.8. Neil Mitchell [6]announced HLint 1.6.8. HLint is a tool
    for suggesting improvements to your source code. It suggests the
use of
    library functions you may have been unaware of, finds patterns of
    recursion that are really folds/maps, hints about extensions you
aren't
    using and much more. HLint is now one of the top 20 applications on
    Hackage, and is used by the darcs project to improve and statically
    check their code base.

    A Levenberg-Marquardt implementation. Bas van Dijk [7]announced the
    release of a Haskell binding to Manolis Lourakis's C levmar library.
    This library implements the Levenberg-Marquardt algorithm which is
an
    iterative technique that finds a local minimum of a function that is
    expressed as the sum of squares of nonlinear functions. It has
become a
    standard technique for nonlinear least-squares problems and can be
    thought of as a combination of steepest descent and the Gauss-Newton
    method.

    CCA-0.1. Paul L [8]announced that a library for Causal Commutative
    Arrows (CCA) has been uploaded to Hackage DB. It implements CCA
    normalization using Template Haskell and a modified arrow pre-
processor
    (based on arrowp) to generate outout that Template Haskell can
parse.
    It's highly experimental since we are still fiddling with several
    design choices, and by no means we imply Template Haskell is the
best
    choice to implement CCA. Any suggestion or comment is welcome!

    graphviz-2999.5.0.0. Ivan Lazar Miljenovic [9]announced version
    2999.5.0.0 of the graphviz package for Haskell. This is what I
like to
    think of as the 'Hey, this is almost getting to be a decent
library!'
    version. The graphviz package provides bindings to the GraphViz
suite
    of programs by providing the ability to generate and parse
GraphViz's
    Dot language as well as wrappers around the tools themselves.

    uvector-algorithms 0.2. Dan Doel [10]announced version 0.2 of the
    uvector-algorithms package. The package so far has implementations
of
    several sorting and selection algorithms for use on the mutable
arrays
    from the uvector library, as well as combinators for applying them
    immutable arrays.

    dbmigrations 0.1. Jonathan Daugherty [11]announced dbmigrations, A
    library and program for the creation, management, and installation
of
    schema updates (called migrations) for a relational database. In
    particular, this package lets the migration author express explicit
    dependencies between migrations and the management tool
automatically
    installs or reverts migrations accordingly, using transactions for
    safety. This package is written to support any HDBC-supported
database,
    although at present only PostgreSQL is fully supported.

    Palindromes 0.1. Johan Jeuring [12]announced Palindromes, a
package for
    finding palindromes in files. Visit the [13]homepage The primary
    features of Palindromes include: A linear-time algorithm for finding
    exact palindromes, A linear-time algorithm for finding text
    palindromes, ignoring spaces, case of characters, and punctuation
    symbols.

Discussion

    Averting QuickCheck Madness. Christopher Lane Hinson Christopher
Hinson
    [14]asked about best practices with regards to QuickCheck, and it's
    inclusion/exclusion as a dependency for end-user programs.

    How to customize dyre recompile? Andy Stewart Andy Stewart [15]asked
    about how to customize Dyre's settings to do a whole-program
    recompilation.

    Externally derive instance of Data? Dimitry Golubovsky Dimitry
    Golubovsky [16]asked about stand-alone deriving for third-party
    datatypes.

    Parallel parsing & multicore. Anakim Border Anakim Border [17]talked
    about parallel parsing, specifically about a parser he had put
    together, which led to a discussion of Edward Kmett's recent talks
at
    BAHUG.

    Ph.D position, Utrecht University, the Netherlands. S.Doaitse
    [18]announced Vacancy PhD student on Realizing Optimal Sharing in
the
    Functional Language Implementations Utrecht University, The
    Netherlands.

Blog noise

    [19]Haskell news from the [20]blogosphere. Blog posts from people
new
    to the Haskell community are marked with >>>, be sure to welcome
them!
      * Eric Kow (kowey): [21]Cabal-Installing graphical apps on MacOS
X.
      * Don Stewart (dons): [22]Improving Data Structures with
Associated
        Types.
      * Manuel M T Chakravarty: [23]Haskell Arrays, Accelerated..
      * Galois, Inc: [24]Tech Talk: Building Systems That Enforce
        Measurable Security Goals.
      * Kevin Reid (kpreid): [25]GSoC conclusion..
      * Neil Brown: [26]Boids Simulation: Part 1.
      * Paul Potts: [27]MacPorts, Snow Leopard, and GHC == Sadness.
      * Andrew Calleja: [28]Haskell IDEs on Windows.
      * Sean Leather: [29]"Upwards and downwards accumulations on trees"
        translated into Haskell.
      * Xmonad: [30]The Design and Implementation of XMonad.
      * Galois, Inc: [31]Tech Talk: Constructing a Universal Domain for
        Reasoning About Haskell Datatypes.
      * Well-Typed.Com: [32]Slides from the IHG talk at CUFP.
      * Alex McLean: [33]Hackpact Documentation. This links to part
one of
        a two part series.
      * Bas van Gijze: [34]Cannibals, Missionaries and the State Monad
pt.
        1.
      * Magnus Therning: [35]Wrapping IO. This links to part one of a
two
        part series.
      * Don Stewart (dons): [36]Stream Fusion for Haskell Arrays.
      * Tom Schrijvers: [37]EffectiveAdvice: AOP, mixin inheritance,
        monads, parametricity, non-interference, ....
      * Johan Jeuring: [38]Finding palindromes.
      * Neil Brown: [39]Concurrent vs Parallel vs Sequential.
      * Don Stewart (dons): [40]DEFUN 2009: Multicore Programming in
        Haskell Now!.
      * Don Stewart (dons): [41]The Haskell Platform: Status Report:
        Haskell Symposium 2009.

Quotes of the Week

      * lispy: All haskell lists have less than 400 elements
      * Jafet: The C preprocessor is purely dysfunctional
      * edwardk: so the -> is matched on the outside, but the -> and ,
fail
        to match on the inside, unification fails, dogs and cats start
        living together in harmony, general chaos.
      * yaxu: [about lambdabot] an irc bot that no-one understands the
        workings of has to be a fine precursor to artificial
intelligence
      * Gracenotes: all in all, you're just another brick in the -Wall

About the Haskell Weekly News

    New editions are posted to [42]the Haskell mailing list as well as
    [43]the Haskell Sequence and [44]Planet Haskell. [45]RSS is also
    available, and headlines appear on [46]haskell.org.

    To help create new editions of this newsletter, please see the
    information on [47]how to contribute. Send stories to jfredett .
at .
    gmail . dot . com. The darcs repository is available at darcs get
    [48]http://code.haskell.org/~byorgey/code/hwn/ .