[Haskell] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 137 - October 31, 2009

jfredett at gmail.com jfredett at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 00:38:25 EDT 2009

Haskell Weekly News
http://sequence.complete.org/hwn/20091031
Issue 137 - October 31, 2009
   Welcome to issue 137 of HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the
   [1]Haskell community.

   This week brings a new release of xmonad, some cool bindings to allow
   interaction with GNOME, KDE, and XFCE desktops and a new version of
   haskell-mode for the lesser of two editors... Some progress has also
   been made on the new HWN software, though this was mitigated by the
   fact that I started playing with the Isabelle theorem prover (after
   reading about Haskabelle) and so now I find myself convinced I should
   formally prove all of my software, and also that I'm pretty much
   incapable of getting things done when cool tools present themselves. In
   fact, I don't think I'll even be able to finish this [2]editori*
   [3]Exception: The Haskell Weekly News!

Announcements

   xmonad 0.9 is now available! Don Stewart [4]announced a new version of
   everyone's favorite Tiling Window Manager, xmonad! The changes and
   improvments are too numerous to mention, see the post for details!

   WFLP2010 2nd CFP: LNCS + invited speaker + abstract due Nov 9. Pablo
   Nogueira [5]announced a second call for papers for the Workshop on
   Functional and Constraint Logic Programming.

   dbus-core 0.5 and dbus-client 0.1. John Millikin [6]announced
   pure-Haskell client libraries for using the D-Bus protocol. D-Bus is
   heavily used for inter-application IPC on Free and open-source desktop
   platforms, such as Linux, OpenSolaris, and FreeBSD. These libraries
   allow applications written in Haskell to inter-operate with other
   components of recent GNOME, KDE, and XFCE desktops.

   Singapore Functional Programmer Group First Meetup. Kenny Lu
   [7]announced (with apologies for the late notice) an informal meeting
   for the Functional Programmer Group in Singapore on 2 Nov 2009. The
   theme for the first meeting will be 'meet and greet'.

   GeBoP 1.7. Henk-Jan van Tuyl [8]updated and cabalized GeBoP (the
   General Boardgames Player) and uploaded it to hackage.

   GPS package on Hackage. Thomas DuBuisson [9]announced that he fixed up
   the GPS package to add correct distance calculation and a separate
   module for exporting KML.

   GPipe-TextureLoad 1.0.0 and GPipe 1.0.3. Tobias Bexelius [10]announced
   a new version of GPipe as well as a utility package for loading
   textures.

   HoleyMonoid-0.1. Martijn van Steenbergen [11]announced announce the
   first release of HoleyMonoid, a datatype that helps you build monoids
   with holes in them. The holes are filled in later using normal function
   application.

   GlomeVec, IcoGrid. Jim Snow [12]announced a couple of packages,
   GlomeVec is a vector library used in Jim's ray-tracer, and IcoGrid is a
   library for dealing with grids of hexagons and pentagons wrapped on a
   sphere.

   attempt-0.0.0. Michael Snoyman [13]announced a new package for
   exceptions

   haskell-mode 2.5. Svein Ove Aas [14]announced a new version of
   haskell-mode for that other 'editor'...

Discussion

   Applicative but not Monad. Yusaku Hashimoto [15]asked about an example
   of a datatype that was an instance of Applicative, but not an instance
   of Monad.

   AND/OR Perceptron. Hector Guilarte [16]asked about how to understand a
   particular portion of JP Moresmau's [17]Perceptron in Haskell

   What is the current state of affairs with supercompilation? Eugene
   Kirpichov [18]asked about supercompilation in Haskell.

Blog noise

   [19]Haskell news from the [20]blogosphere. Blog posts from people new
   to the Haskell community are marked with >>>, be sure to welcome them!
     * Magnus Therning: [21]Playing with sockets in Haskell.
     * Holumbus: [22]Switched to Git.
     * Manuel M T Chakravarty: [23]Finally found the ghci bug on Snow
       Leopard.
     * Galois, Inc: [24]Tech Talk: Testing First-Order-Logic Axioms in
       AutoCert.
     * Brent Yorgey: [25]Collecting Attributes.
     * Darcs: [26]darcs weekly news #44.
     * FP Lunch: [27]Parser Combinators are as expressive as possible.
     * David Amos: [28]Simple groups, the atoms of symmetry.
     * Xmonad: [29]xmonad 0.9 available now!.
     * Michael Snoyman: [30]Introduction to attempt error reporting
       library.
     * FP-Syd: [31]Sydney FP Group: FP-Syd #20..

Quotes of the Week

     * hexpuem: [on learning haskell] the best way is to shove a SD card
       up your nose with learn yourself a haskell good on it
     * copumpkin:
       copumpkin: 'YOU ARE SUCH A PULLBACK'
       copumpkin: 'YOU KNOW WHAT? I FUNCTORED YOUR MOTHER LAST NIGHT'
     * saml and mauke:
       saml: 'How can I convert python file to haskell?'
       mauke: 'By piping it through a programmer'
     * monochrom: premature generality is the root of OOP
     * EvilTerran: {-# LANGUAGE FlexibleMorals #-} -- needed for
       unsafeLaunchMissiles
     * Warrigal: Hey, the module loaded. I didn't expect that.
     * lilac:
       class Monad m where
       return and Kleisli compose
       must form a monoid

About the Haskell Weekly News

   New editions are posted to [32]the Haskell mailing list as well as to
   [33]the Haskell Sequence and [34]Planet Haskell. [35]RSS is also
   available, and headlines appear on [36]haskell.org.

   To help create new editions of this newsletter, please see the
   information on [37]how to contribute. Send stories to jfredett . at .
   gmail . dot . com. The darcs repository is available at darcs get
   [38]http://patch-tag.com/r/jfredett/HWN2/pullrepo HWN2 .