[Haskell] Announcing Haskell 2010

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 05:50:49 EST 2009

I'm very proud to announce a new revision of the Haskell language,
Haskell 2010.  Over the last couple of months the committee has been
making final decisions about which extensions should be a part of this
revision.  The final list is:

You can read more about each one, including rationale for and against,
on its relevant wiki page, which are linked from the tickets:

Haskell 2010 is a small but significant step on the road that was
started by the Haskell' committee 4 years ago,  The process has not been
a smooth one, and there have been several changes of direction, but the
current process is actually producing concrete results that let us move
the language forward in positive steps, so I feel we're on the right track.

We all owe the current committee a big thank-you for sticking with the
process this long: most of them didn't realise the magnitude of what
they were signing up for at the beginning.  The short list of changes
above tells only a small part of the story, there is a wealth of wiki
content and mailing-list discussion that future language revisions can
draw on.

So what now?

  * We will produce a revised version of the Haskell language report
    incorporating these changes.  That will happen over the next few

  * Compilers can start implementing the changes, and flags to
    select the Haskell 2010 revision.  In GHC we expect to have
    support in the next major release, i.e. 6.14.1.

  * Right now, we will start forming a Haskell 2011 committee to
    mange the process of deciding on changes for next year's revision.
    The current committee is still discussing how to go about
    finding a new committee (the plan is to at least have open
    nominations) but I expect to be able to announce more details
    very soon.

  * Everyone can participate in the Haskell 2011 process, by discussing
    and refining proposals.  Information about how to do that is on
    the Haskell Prime wiki:

    Remember: this is a community effort.   The changes that get
    adopted in each revision are drawn from the pool of fully-specified
    proposals, and those proposals can be written by anyone.

Simon, on behalf of the Haskell 2010 committee