[Haskell] Re: 20 years ago

Benjamin L.Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Tue Jul 14 06:23:11 EDT 2009

Hello Bulat,

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:52:22 +0400, you wrote:

>you can replace OOP with FP in the manual text i cited and read it as
>modern text :)

Mostly, perhaps.  But how about the following portions (see page 16)
[1]? ;)

>Object-oriented languages were once called "actor languages" with this metaphor in mind.

>One often amusing outgrowth of this is that OOP fanatics anthropomorphize
>their objects. Data structures are no longer passive buckets for you to toss
>values in. In the new view of things, an object is looked upon as an actor on
>a stage, with a set of lines (methods) memorized. When you (the director)
>give the word, the actor recites from the script.

Let's try....

>Functional languages were once called "actor languages" with this metaphor in mind.

Hmm ... this doesn't quite seem to fit....

>One often amusing outgrowth of this is that FP fanatics anthropomorphize
>their functions. Data structures are no longer passive buckets for you to toss
>values in. In the new view of things, a function is looked upon as an actor on
>a stage, with a set of lines (<replace "methods" with something appropriate here>)
>memorized. When you (the director) give the word, the actor recites from the script.

Forgive me, but I can't quite think of anything corresponding to
"methods" here.

Can you get these portions to fit without mixing metaphors? ;-)

-- Benjamin L. Russell

[1] Borland International, Inc. _Turbo Pascal 5.5 Object-Oriented
Programming Guide._ Scotts Valley, CA: Borland International, Inc.,
1989.
<http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/images/20803/TP_55_OOP_Guide.pdf>.
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
-- Matsuo Basho^