[Haskell] ANN: HLint 1.6

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 15:16:19 EDT 2009

Hi,

I am pleased to announce HLint 1.6, a tool for automatically
suggesting improvements to your Haskell code. For example:

$ hlint darcs-2.1.2

CommandLine.lhs:49:1: Warning, eta reduce
Found:    quotedArg ftable = between (char '"') (char '"') $ quoteContent ftable
Why not:  quotedArg = between (char '"') (char '"') . quoteContent

CommandLine.lhs:94:1: Error, use concatMap
Found:    concat $ map escapeC s
Why not:  concatMap escapeC s

Ssh.hs:155:17: Error, use isPrefixOf
Found:    take 1 path == "~"
Why not:  "~" `isPrefixOf` path

== INSTALLATION ==

To install hlint, do the standard cabal magic: cabal update && cabal
install hlint

The home page for HLint is: http://community.haskell.org/~ndm/hlint/

The manual is at: http://community.haskell.org/~ndm/darcs/hlint/hlint.htm

== NEW FEATURES FROM 1.4 ==

* Upgrade to haskell-src-exts 1.0.0, this should fix lots of bugs
* Add lots of new hints
* Fix a pile of hlint specific bugs
* Better HTML report generation
* Parallel execution (on my machine, +RTS -N4 makes it run 3 times faster)
* Better support for things the darcs project wanted

Please try out HLint and let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Neil