[Haskell] Re: Haskell Digest, Vol 63, Issue 8

Rishiyur Nikhil nikhil at bluespec.com
Fri Feb 6 16:46:56 EST 2009

Simon PJ's interview in Computer World about Haskell:

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1974033854

contains the following quote:

   "IO is a side effect as we discussed. IO ensures the launching of
     the missiles: do it now and do it in this order. IO means that it
     needs to be done in a particular order, so you say do this and
     then do that and you are mutating the state of the world."

I couldn't help enjoying the following abbreviation:

   "IO ensures the launching of the missiles ... and you are mutating
     the state of the world."

:-)

Nikhil
PS: Also, "oh, that's not very cool, how can we launch missiles with that?"