[Haskell] Nominations for the Haskell 2011 committee

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 07:34:23 EST 2009

So that the Haskell 2011 cycle can get underway, we are soliciting
nominations for new committee members.  Since this is the first time
we've done this, the procedure is still somewhat unsettled and things
may yet change, but the current guidelines are written down here:

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/wiki/Committee

In particular, on the makeup of the commitee:

   The committee should represent each class of stakeholders with
   roughly equal weight. These classes are

     * Implementers (compiler/tool writers)
     * Commercial users
     * Non-commercial users (e.g. open source)
     * Academic users (using Haskell in research)
     * Teachers
     * Authors

   In addition, members of the committee should be long-standing users
   with a deep knowledge of Haskell, and preferably with experience of
   language design. The committee should contain at least some members
   with a comprehensive knowledge of the dark corners of the Haskell
   language design, who can offer perspective and rationale for existing
   choices and comment on the ramifications of making different choices.

To nominate someone (which may be yourself), send a message to
haskell-prime at haskell.org.  Please give reasons for your nomination.

The current committee will appoint new commitee members and editors
starting in the new year, so the deadline for nominations is 31 December
2009.

During discussion amongst the current commitee, we realised that the
choice of committee should be informed not just by the criteria above,
but also by the particular proposals that are expected to be under
consideration during this cycle.  With that in mind, we plan that
following the nominations the current committee will choose a "core
commitee" of up to 10 members, and further members may be appointed
during the year based on expertise needed to consider particular
proposals.  Accordingly, now would be a good time to start discussing
which proposals should be considered in the Haskell 2011 timeframe, as
that may affect the choice of commitee members.

More details on the current Haskell Prime process are here:

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/wiki/Process

Cheers,
	Simon