[Haskell] CFT: Haskell Implementers' Workshop 2009 (co-located with ICFP)

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 11:40:35 EDT 2009

                         Call for Talks
             ACM SIGPLAN Haskell Implementers' Workshop

       http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/HaskellImplementorsWorkshop
              Edinburgh, Scotland, September 3, 2009
        The workshop will be held in conjunction with ICFP 2009
               http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~gmh/icfp09.html

Important dates

Proposal Deadline: 15 June 2009
Notification:       3 July 2009

The Haskell Implementers Workshop is a new workshop to be held
alongside ICFP 2009 this year in Edinburgh, Scotland.  There will be
no proceedings; it is an informal gathering of people involved in the
design and development of Haskell implementations, tools, libraries,
and supporting infrastructure.

This new workshop reflects the growth of the user community: there is
a clear need for a well-supported tool chain for the development,
distribution, deployment, and configuration of Haskell software.  The
aim is for this workshop to give the people involved with building the
infrastructure behind this ecosystem an opportunity to bat around
ideas, share experiences, and ask for feedback from fellow experts.

We intend the workshop to have an informal and interactive feel, with
a flexible timetable and plenty of room for ad-hoc discussion, demos,
and impromptu short talks.

Scope and target audience
-------------------------

We feel it's important to clearly distinguish the Haskell Implementers
Workshop from the other Haskell-related workshops co-located with ICFP
2009.

The Haskell Symposium is for the publication of Haskell-related
research.  In contrast, the Haskell Implementers' Workshop will have
no proceedings - although we will aim to make slides and talk videos
available with the consent of the speakers.

DEFUN aims to teach how functional programming techniques can be
applied in practice. In the Haskell Implementors' Workshop we hope to
study the underlying technology that drives this application
development. We want to bring together anyone interested in the nitty
gritty details necessary to turn a text file into a deployed
product. Having said that, members of the wider Haskell community are
more than welcome to attend the workshop - we need your feedback to
keep the Haskell ecosystem thriving.

The scope covers any of the following topics (but there may be some
we've missed, so by all means submit a proposal even if it doesn't fit
exactly into one of these buckets):

  * Compilation techniques
  * Language features and extensions
  * Type system implementation
  * Concurrency and parallelism: language design and implementation
  * Performance, optimisation and benchmarking
  * Virtual machines and run-time systems
  * Libraries and Tools for development or deployment

Talks
-----

At this stage we'd like to invite proposals from potential speakers
for a relatively short (20-30 min) talk.  Please submit a talk title
and abstract of no more than 200 words to simonmar at microsoft.com.

We want to hear from people writing compilers, tools, or libraries,
people with cool ideas for directions in which we should take the
platform, proposals for new features to be implemented, and half-baked
crazy ideas.

We also plan to invite a number of speakers from the community.

Organizers

  * Duncan Coutts - co-chair (Well-Typed LLP)
  * Atze Dijkstra (Utrecht University)
  * Roman Leshchinskiy (University of New South Wales)
  * Simon Marlow - co-chair (Microsoft Research)
  * Bryan O'Sullivan (Linden Lab)
  * Wouter Swierstra (Chalmers University of Technology)