[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: colour 0.0.0

roconnor at theorem.ca roconnor at theorem.ca
Fri Oct 24 15:12:07 EDT 2008

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008, Sebastian Sylvan wrote:

> It would be nice if we could customize the gamma curve. Different devices have different gamma.
> Some hardware even approximates the gamma curve with piecewise linear functions. This can make a
> massive difference if you, e.g. degamma the image assuiming a gamma of 2.2 (typical office LCD
> screen), do some work on it, then convert to a gamma of 2.5 (typical TV - they assume TVs will be
> in a darker background setting), then the graphics card reads this as sRGB with its own piecewise
> linear approximation, then does some more work on it, and converts it back. Long story short, if
> you can't get all of those steps right the errors can add up quickly and becomes very noticable.

That is a fair point.  I've only just started thinking about colour
correction due to viewing environments.  I remembered that dealing with
colour was difficult (which is why I'm writing this library), but I forgot
exactly how difficult it was.

I just finished user defined linear RGB spaces in my development version.
Allowing user defined non-linear RGB spaces would be a reasonable
addition.

> If it could read photoshop colour profiles that would be even better.

Perhaps ICC profiles would do?  Or are they the same thing?