[Haskell] Current XML libraries status

Krasimir Angelov kr.angelov at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 16:26:33 EDT 2008

Hi,

Does some one have made performance tests on the different XML libraries for
Haskell? I have a 20MB xml file that I want to read. I remember from my
earlier experiments (years ago) that all libraries were too slow and were
consuming too much memory. I hoped that this situation had changed but maybe
not. I looked at HaXML, libxml, HXML and HXT. HaXML eats a lot of memory and
is still very slow. libxml is unfinished binding to the C library. Currently
it only allows to create documents. HXML seems to be very promising. It
works fast and it doesn't eat memory. Unfortunately it is that it seems to
be rather old. It uses its own Arrow and Tree libraries instead of the
standard libraries. I have not jumped into HXT yet because it seems to be
very large library. Could someone recomend which one is the state of the
art?

Best Regards,
  Krasimir