[Haskell] Probably a trivial thing for people knowing Haskell

Till Mossakowski till at informatik.uni-bremen.de
Sun Oct 19 13:19:50 EDT 2008

Chry Cheng schrieb:
> "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery at ece.cmu.edu> writes:
>
>> Laziness is a double-edged sword.
>
> Perhaps the following page from Haskell Wiki would serve to enlighten
> more: http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Foldr_Foldl_Foldl%27?  This
> really made it clear to me how laziness can sometimes be a bad thing.

A student of mine switch from Haskell to Java because of exactly these
laziness problems - after he tried out to make the program stricter in
various ways, but failed to remove the space leak.
There should be an easy way of declaring a Haskell function (or, if
that won't work, a whole module) to use strict evaluation only, without
the need to manually insert seq and foldl' etc. everywhere (or even to
change the structure of the code completely).

Till Mossakowski