[Haskell] Re: on starting Haskell-Edu, a new education-related Haskell-related mailing list

Benjamin L. Russell dekudekuplex at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 14 06:12:00 EDT 2008

--- On Mon, 7/14/08, Angelos Sphyris <knightofmathematics at hol.gr> wrote:

> From: Angelos Sphyris <knightofmathematics at hol.gr>
> To: "Benjamin L.Russell" <DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com>
> Date: Monday, July 14, 2008, 6:40 PM
> I would avoid help at haskell.org as that seems to me to
> suggest a general help
> archive/source complete with manuals, faqs, examples etc.
>
> How about arche at haskell.org ?
> Arche is Greek for 'start', 'beginning'. It
> is used in the word 'hierarchy'
> and is suitably short, as well as being original.
>
> Angelos Sphyris

While this is an excellent name in itself--short, original, and intellectual, fitting the nature of the list--it would seem to suggest some (albeit heretofore nonexistent) alternative library named "Arche" for Haskell for readers unfamiliar with this name.  The main problem is that, by itself, the name doesn't ring a bell for readers unfamiliar with Greek etymology, and seems to be a very creative name for some Haskell tool.

Nevertheless, because this name is so original, I am forwarding it to the Haskell mailing list as a reference.

I would alternatively suggest alpha at haskell.org (the beginning) for beginners, and omega at haskell.org (the end) for teachers.

-- Benjamin L. Russell