[Haskell] on starting Haskell-Edu, a new education-related Haskell-related mailing list

Philippa Cowderoy flippa at flippac.org
Sat Jul 5 20:33:19 EDT 2008

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008, Isaac Dupree wrote:

> rather difficult, because beginner questions can easily spiral into curiosity
> about quite theoretical stuff, with no clear point of separation.  And I'm not
> sure we want to avoid having that kind of curiosity, but I suppose it might
> always intimidate some newbies: a predicament I'm not sure we can solve by a
> mere technical measure of splitting up lists.

On a newbie list, it's easier to remember to give more of a beginner's
guide to tough topics - or to point out when 'teachers' should take it to
-cafe.

> when I was a newbie I was intimidated by the sheer volume of Haskell-Cafe,
> never mind whether I could understand it or not :-) but also the relatively
> few amount of beginner questions with beginner answers when looking in the
> list archives, probably made me less sure whether my questions would belong
> there.

That's another good reason for such a list. I suspect a good many "why are
things like this?" questions would be better handled somewhere like that,
too.

flippa at flippac.org

Sometimes you gotta fight fire with fire. Most
of the time you just get burnt worse though.