[Haskell] PhD positions in Functional Programming at Chalmers in Sweden

Koen Claessen koen at chalmers.se
Wed Jan 30 03:40:40 EST 2008

(apologies for multiple copies)
** please forward this to interested students **

PhD Positions in Functional Programming
at the department of Computer Science and Engineering
at Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden

http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~koen/phdad.html

Application deadline: March 11, 2008
Position starts: April 1, 2008 or September 1, 2008

The PhD student will join the research activities at our department in
applications of functional programming, much of which concentrates
on the design and application of Domain Specific Embedded Languages.
Examples of our work are QuickCheck for specification-guided random
testing, and Lava for hardware design and verification. Our group has
also developed the award winning automated first-order logic reasoning
tools Paradox and Equinox, which are both written in Haskell.

There are advertised positions in two focus areas:

1. Development of the next generation of Paradox and Equinox, which
involves inventing new programming techniques for building a modular,
flexible automated reasoning tool, as well as developing novel automated
reasoning algorithms. As new exciting applications for automated
reasoning tools arise, new demands are placed on the reasoning tools,
forcing changes in how they are designed and implemented.

2. Development of verification techniques for distributed systems
implemented in the functional programming language Erlang. Methods
here include QuickCheck-based testing, model checking and (automated)
theorem proving techniques, and integration of these different techniques.
There is a possibility of attacking real-world problems from our industrial
partners.

For more information, please look at:

http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~koen/phdad.html

Koen Claessen