[Haskell] ANN: Hoogle 3.1

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 06:48:16 EST 2008

Hi,

I am pleased to announce Hoogle 3.1. Hoogle is a search engine for
Haskell functions, that allows the user to search by name or
approximate type signature. Hoogle can be used without installing
anything, by simply visiting the online interface, or can be installed
locally.

* Online interface: http://www.haskell.org/hoogle/
* Cabal release:
http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/hoogle-3.1

The Cabal release contains a command line version of the Hoogle tool,
which you can install with the standard Cabal commands.

Hoogle 3.1 has a number of new features.

Command line version:

* A proper cabal release, including proper installing of the search database.
* cabal-install compatible
* No longer requires haskell-source-extensions (trhsx) to be installed

Web interface:

* Better entity escaping in some bits of the web interface
* Keyword links work again
* Lambdabot suggestions work
* Update to the most recent version of base
* Security fixes, specifically possible code injection bugs
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_injection) - none of which were
ever exploited, or could have been exploited (as far as I can tell)

I intend to write a more detailed account of the security fixes in a
blog post, which will be available from http://planet.haskell.org/ .
Running a custom version of the web interface is not really supported,
but if you are, please upgrade to the latest darcs version.

There are still several known bugs in the Hoogle 3.1 release, but
these are more difficult to fix, and will probably be solved in a
forthcoming Hoogle 4.0.

Thanks

Neil