[Haskell] Typing unification algorithm for parameterized types using GADTs?

Dan Licata drl at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Feb 7 00:47:43 EST 2008

Hi Ki Yung,

I think the problem starts even on the left of the TyA case.  Let's turn
on -XScopedTypeVariables and put in some type annotations:

unify :: (Show v,Ord v) => Ty v k -> Ty v k -> Ty v k -> Ty v k
unify (TyA (t1 :: Ty v (k2 :~> k)) (t2 :: Ty v k2))
      (TyA (t1' :: Ty v (k2' :~> k)) (t2' :: Ty v k2')) =
    let x = unify t1 t1'
        y = unify t2 t2'
    in undefined

You've stated your unification algorithm so that it works on two types
of the same kind.  However, each time you invert the application rule,
which existentially quantifies over the argument kind of the function,
you get a different argument kind (here, I've named them k2 and k2').
Thus, it's not even type correct to call unification on t1 and t1', or
on t2 and t2', since they may have different kinds.  So you get a type
error on either of the two inductive calls, even when their types are
not constrained by the return type of the function.  One thing to try is
to generalize your function so that it compares two types of potentially
different kinds.

However, even if you successfully got the inductive calls to go through,
it wouldn't make sense to compose them: unify t1 t1' would be a

Ty v (k2 :~> k) -> Ty v (k2 :~> k)

wheraes unify t2 t2' would be

Ty v k2 -> Ty v k2

If you want to represent the substitution resulting from unification as
a function that performs the substitution, you will at least have to
show this function that works on types of any kind, not just the kind of
the two terms you're comparing.  One way to do this might be to return a
polymorphic function (forall k. Ty v k -> Ty v k).

You might find the following discussion of unification by Frank Pfenning helpful:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~fp/courses/lp/lectures/06-unif.pdf

-Dan