[Haskell] Re: Trying to install binary-0.4

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 18 20:13:01 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 01:00 +0200, Udo Stenzel wrote:
> Don Stewart wrote:
> > If I understand correctly, the main issue for Udo is simply that the
> > MonadFix instance is required by his code, and isn't available in binary
> > 0.3 -- the version to be used on earlier GHCs. Is that right Udo?
>
> No, the issue is that nothing works.

I replied earlier to Udo but just for the benefit of everyone else...

The current darcs versions of binary and tar work with ghc-6.4, 6.6 and
6.8.x. They do require Cabal-1.2.x, but that also works with ghc 6.4 to
6.8.

The bytestring package also works with 6.4 and 6.8. The Data.ByteString
code was included in base in ghc-6.6 so the bytestring package is not
needed for ghc-6.6.

New tarball releases of Cabal-1.2.1, bytestring-0.9, binary-0.4.1, tar
and others (zlib, bzlib, iconv) will appear on hackage in the next few
days.

The fps package is archaic and should be ignored.

There is quite a bit of churn with ghc-6.8 because of the base package
having been split up. This requires changes to the .cabal files of many
packages to allow them to continue to build with old and new versions of
ghc. So all will not be plain sailing for the first few weeks after
ghc-6.8 comes out as maintainers update their packages. People will have
to be patient and/or stick to ghc-6.6 for a bit.

Duncan