[Haskell] [Fwd: undecidable & overlapping instances: a bug?]

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Oct 17 22:28:20 EDT 2007

Good point Mark!  And yes, the bug is still open Iavor.

The trouble is that
a) the coverage condition ensures that everything is well behaved
b) but it's too restrictive for some uses of FDs, notably the MTL library
c) there are many possibilities for more generous conditions, but
        the useful ones all seem complicated

Concerning the last point I've dumped the current brand leader for (c) into http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/1241#comment:15.

Better ideas for (c) would be welcome.

Simon