[Haskell] ANN: MacOSX - A library some Haskell users on OS X might find useful.

Corey O'Connor coreyoconnor at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 19:23:56 EDT 2007

I've been working on integrating haskell code with some Objective-C/C++
Cocoa Mac OS X applications. Nothing fancy like a Haskell/Cocoa bridge. Just
trying to get the build process smooth. The default cabal build system was
incomplete to do this effectively;* Extending XCode was no good either. With
some effort I created some Cabal build hooks to fix up the behavior of build
on OS X and add support for packaging an executable into a ".app" package.
That's not much, but I packaged it up, plus some extras, into a library in
case other projects would like to use it:
http://tothepowerofdisco.com/repo/HaskellLibraries/

Of course, this is all hackish and very incomplete. EG:
* No fat binary support. I only have a PPC Mac and the only fat-binary
process usable with GHC I know of requires executing the x86 GHC.
* The build hook in MacOSX.Build will only work on the Cabal distributed
with GHC 6.6.1 and *completely* replaces the standard GHC build hook.
* GHC compiled to use the framework version of GMP installed to
/Library/Frameworks is required.
* The name is vague...
Still, I've used it to add haskell support and replace XCode for building
for 3 exisitng Cocoa applications. Maybe somebody else will find it useful
as well.

--
-Corey O'Connor

* I neglected to make a good list of why the default Cabal build hook
doesn't work.