[Haskell] Garbage collection problem

Ketil Malde ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no
Mon Nov 5 10:41:33 EST 2007

Jinping Zhang <zjpzsu at gmail.com> writes:

> HI,can anybody help me with the following garbage collection problem ?

It's probably not a problem with garbage collecting as such, but
rather that you don't have any.  In other words, your program is
retaining too much data.  Often, this is caused by too much (or
sometimes too little) laziness.

> By the way, the interpreter I used was Hugs98.

I haven't used Hugs for a while, but with GHC there is heap profiling.

The GHC docs describe this fairly well, I think, see:
  http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/prof-heap.html

-k