[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: Harpy -- run-time code generation library

Martin Grabmueller magr at cs.tu-berlin.de
Tue Jun 12 04:52:31 EDT 2007

Florian Weimer schrieb:
> * Martin Grabmueller:
>
>> For the future, we'd like to be able to support more architectures,
>> but it's not very high on our priority list.  Maybe interest
>> of others could change that...
>
> LLVM as a target could be interesting as well, and would avoid the
> need to write tons of optimizers.

[Sorry for the delay.]

LLVM is indeed interesting, but has several drawbacks:

- written in C++ (we don't have experience in interfacing Haskell and C++)

- has been used with imperative languages yet, no experience available
  on using it for FP.

- rather large system

- and finally, I have to admit: a bit of Not Invented Here

One of our goals was indeed to have a Haskell-only code generator, which
has the advantage that it is easier to install, use and distribute.

Regards,
  Martin