[Haskell] Views in Haskell

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Jan 22 09:57:27 EST 2007

Dear Haskellers

Provoked by a discussion with Don Syme, and after some helpful conversations at POPL, I have finally written up a proposal for adding "view patterns" to Haskell.  We've wanted views for a long time, but they have never made it, into GHC at any rate.  This proposal is a very lightweight (and hence, I hope, cost-effective) proposal for a view-like mechanism.

        http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/wiki/ViewPatterns

I'm thinking of implementing it in GHC, so I'd be interested in feedback of the form
        - how desirable is it to have a feature of this general form?
        - can this particular proposal be improved?

I've made it into a Wiki page on the Haskell Prime site.  It's probably premature to treat it as a serious contender for Haskell Prime (unless there is wild enthusiasm), because it hasn't been tried in practice yet, but that seems like the right forum to discuss it.