[Haskell] HNOP Status

Ashley Yakeley ashley at semantic.org
Fri Jan 5 04:04:19 EST 2007

For code designed not to do anything, HNOP has high hopes. I have
recently split the project into two Cabal packages: "nop", a library of
no-op services, and "hnop", a program that uses nop to do nothing. Both
packages can be found in this repository:

   darcs get http://semantic.org/hnop/

First and foremost the two packages are intended to be templates for
Cabal projects, so I'm interested in making them as canonical and "best
practices" as possible. I'm not so interested in showing off clever
Haskell programming idioms for doing nothing, unless there's some
expository benefit relating to the Cabal or Haddock infrastructure.

For instance, in the nop package, "runhaskell Setup test" works. It runs
"make" in the "test" directory, which compiles a program and runs it,
and then diffs it against reference output. But should I be using
QuickCheck or something here? Is there some well-known or Cabal-approved
way to run tests on a package?

Please send me patches licensed under the simple permissive license in
the LICENSE files if you have any improvements. Or I can move this to
darcs.haskell.org if it's appropriate.

--
Ashley Yakeley
Seattle, WA