[Haskell] Haskell Weekly News: January 02, 2007

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Mon Jan 1 22:22:23 EST 2007

Haskell Weekly News
http://sequence.complete.org/hwn/20070102
Issue 55 - January 02, 2007

   Welcome to issue 55 of HWN, a weekly newsletter covering developments
   in the Haskell community.

   This week brings a new release of vty and HsColour, and some
   interesting discussion over the holiday break.

Announcements

   hscolour-1.6. Malcolm Wallace [1]announced HsColour, a popular
   syntax-highlighter for Haskell code. It can generate ANSI terminal
   colour codes, HTML, and CSS, and can insert hyperlink anchors for
   function definitions (useful in conjunction with [2]Haddock).
   [3]HsColour-1.6 is now available. The major addition is a new LaTeX
   output mode.

   1. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.general/14677
   2. http://haskell.org/haddock
   3. http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/fp/darcs/hscolour

   Dimensional: Statically checked physical dimensions. Björn Buckwalter
   [4]announced version 0.1 of [5]Dimensional, a module for statically
   checked physical dimensions. The module facilitates calculations with
   physical quantities while statically preventing e.g. addition of
   quantities with differing physical dimensions.

   4. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.general/14691
   5. http://code.google.com/p/dimensional/

   vty 2.0. Stefan O'Rear [6]announced a new major version of [7]vty.
   Differences from 1.0 include: vty now uses a record type for
   attributes, instead of bitfields in an Int; vty now supports setting
   background colors; you can now explicitly specify 'default' colors;
   vty now supports Unicode characters on output, automatically setting
   and resetting UTF-8 mode.

   6. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.general/14703
   7. http://members.cox.net/stefanor/vty

   'Lambda Revolution' tshirts. Paul Johnson [8]announced the creation of
   a new Haskell tshirt, on the theme of 'The Lambda Revolution'. Tshirts
   are available from [9]CafePress, and the designs are freely available.

   8. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/17916
   9. http://www.cafepress.com/l_revolution

Discussion

   Beautiful concurrency. Simon Peyton-Jones [10]mentioned that he's been
   writing a chapter on concurrency and transactional memory for a new
   book, 'Beautiful code'. [11]A first draft is available and Simon
   welcomes constructive suggestions for improvement. The book is aimed
   at a general audience of programmers, not Haskell geeks, so tries to
   explain everything necessary. If you are not a Haskell expert, your
   input would be particularly valuable.

  10. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.general/14681
  11. http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Talk:SantaClausProblem

   Limits to implicit parallelism in functional applications. John
   DeTreville [12]announced a short paper about how much implicit
   parallelism there might be in ordinary functional applications.

  12. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.general/14699

   Inlining higher order functions. Norman Ramsey [13]asked about fine
   grained control for inlining in higher order functions.

  13. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.glasgow.user/11467

   Red-black trees as a nested datatype. Jim Apple [14]described how to
   implement red-black trees as a nested datatype.

  14. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/17957

   SYB for XML: deserialization and collections. Alexander Jacobson
   [15]asked about approaches to simplifying boilerplate in HAppS
   associated with XML serialization and state deserialization.

  15. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/17922

   Flattening a lisp-style tree. pphetra [16]asked about flattening
   heterogeneous lists (or trees) in Haskell.

  16. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/17976/focus=17976

Jobs

   Functional programming at Jane Street Capital. Yaron Minsky
   [17]announced that [18]Jane Street Capital is again looking to hire
   some top-notch functional programmers. Of particular note is that Jane
   Street Europe Ltd. now has an office in London, and we are
   particularly interested in hiring someone for that office with strong
   systems administration skills in addition to experience with
   functional programming languages. The ideal candidate has: a
   commitment to the practical, experience with functional programming
   languages (such as Haskell). Applicants should also have experience
   with UNIX and a deep understanding of computers and technology and a
   strong mathematical background.

  17. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.general/14683
  18. http://www.janestcapital.com/tech.html

Blog noise

   [19]Haskell news from the blogosphere.

     * [20]Secret Santas in Haskell III: Lather, Rinse, Repeat 1
     * [21]More Haskell in Java 7 or 8?
     * [22]Generalized vs. dynamic interfaces
     * [23]Type classes in Java
     * [24]Static vs dynamic typing: do what thou wilt
     * [25]Hoogle 4 progress
     * [26]Hoogle Progress, HsMan features
     * [27]The York Haskell Compiler: 1000 patches!
     * [28]Evaluating cellular automata is co-monadic
     * [29]Tying Knots Generically
     * [30]Rails -> Ruby -> Haskell
     * [31]A Sermon on Programming Languages
     * [32]Thoughtful revision control
     * [33]readFile'
     * [34]Code unraveller
     * [35]The Haskell Meta Tutorial
     * [36]Monads
     * [37]My Haskell Experience
     * [38]Communities
     * [39]Darcs: The source code management system of the future?
     * [40]On strong type systems
     * [41]On Programming Languages and Productivity

  19. http://planet.haskell.org/
  20. http://mult.ifario.us/articles/2006/12/22/secret-santas-in-haskell-iii-collect-reap-repeat
  21. http://blogs.msdn.com/ralflammel/archive/2006/12/21/more-haskell-in-java-7-or-8.aspx
  22. http://blogs.msdn.com/ralflammel/archive/2006/12/23/generalized-vs-dynamic-interfaces.aspx
  23. http://syntaxfree.wordpress.com/2006/12/23/et-tu-brute/
  24. http://syntaxfree.wordpress.com/2006/12/24/static-vs-dynamic-typing-do-what-thou-wilt/
  25. http://neilmitchell.blogspot.com/2006/12/hoogle-4-progress.html
  26. http://neilmitchell.blogspot.com/2006/12/hoogle-progress-hsman-features.html
  27. http://yhc06.blogspot.com/2006/12/1000-patches.html
  28. http://sigfpe.blogspot.com/2006/12/evaluating-cellular-automata-is.html
  29. http://sigfpe.blogspot.com/2006/12/tying-knots-generically.html
  30. http://rubynations.wordpress.com/2006/12/28/evolutionrails-ruby-haskell/
  31. http://www.dailyspeculations.com/wordpress/?p=101
  32. http://koweycode.blogspot.com/2006/12/distributed-chiming-in.html
  33. http://koweynlg.blogspot.com/2006/12/meh.html
  34. http://koweycode.blogspot.com/2006/12/unraveller.html
  35. http://koweycode.blogspot.com/2006/12/haskell-metatutorial.html
  36. http://hierodule.livejournal.com/69052.html
  37. http://kawagner.blogspot.com/2006/12/my-haskell-experience.html
  38. http://gravityboy.livejournal.com/31930.html
  39. http://www.iovene.com/content/view/93/1/
  40. http://blog.tmorris.net/strong-type-systems/
  41. http://www.neilmix.com/2007/01/01/on-programming-languages-and-productivity/

Quotes of the Week

     * chessguy: [in regards to #haskell] man, it's amazing the
       difference between what happens when someone asks for help here,
       and what happens when they ask for help in another language
       channel

     * cjeris: It's amazing what some languages do to make thinking
       impossible, seemingly justified by the assumption that no one
       thinks anyway, so it's more important to make non-thinking
       programming as easy as possible.

     * edwinb: I've just walked past a poster advertising a gig by a band
       called 'The Awkward Squad'. I assume this means they provide
       output, play concurrently, and people take exception to them.

     * kfish: Apparently @pl also doubles as the command for producing an
       unintelligible flip-stream

     * Binkley: [Monads as clothes] using unsafePerformIO is kind of like
       going naked in public, might be safe in some contexts, but you
       really don't want to know what happens if you do it in a really
       bad one

     * quazimodo: I know why you guys are so ready to deal with me and
       put up with noob questions ... you program so fast compared to
       other language users that you have time to mess around?

     * iulus: IO, IO, it's off to bind we go ...

     * dons: all your imperative are belong to us

     * Logan Capaldo: I like constructing things with type errors. It
       lets me read the error and try and figure out what I'm really
       trying to do

     * glguy: In true Haskell form, after I realized what I was actually
       doing... all my functions melted down to about 2 lines each

     * jcreigh: I've found learning Haskell makes me feel vastly inferior
       to Haskell coders. ('Oh,', they say, 'That's just a fold over the
       hyper-monad fluxbox list. Here's the one-line replacement for your
       entire program.')

     * Saizan: [New Year's Fun] Yesterday I was so drunk I was trying to
       typecheck the people at the party... 'What's your monad!?'

Code Watch

   Wed Dec 27 17:03:48 PST 2006. Manuel M T Chakravarty. [42]Parse and
   desugar equational constraints. With -findexed-types, equational
   constraints can appear in contexts wherever class predicates are
   allowed. The two argument types need to be boxed and rank 0.

  42. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cvs.ghc/18551

About the Haskell Weekly News

   Each week, new editions are posted to [43]the Haskell mailing list as
   well as to [44]the Haskell Sequence and [45]Planet Haskell. [46]RSS is
   also available, and headlines appear on [47]haskell.org. Headlines are
   available as [48]PDF. The Haskell Weekly News is also [49]available in
   Spanish translation.

   To help create new editions of this newsletter, please see the
   [50]contributing information. Send stories to dons at cse.unsw.edu.au.
   The darcs repository is available at darcs get
   [51]http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/code/hwn