[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: Data.CompactString 0.1 - my attempt at a Unicode ByteString

Twan van Laarhoven twanvl at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 18:46:35 EST 2007

Hello all,

I would like to announce my attempt at making a Unicode version of
Data.ByteString. The library is named Data.CompactString to avoid
conflict with other (Fast)PackedString libraries.

The library uses a variable length encoding (1 to 3 bytes) of Chars into
Word8s, which are then stored in a ByteString. The structure is very
much based on Data.ByteString, most of the implementation is copied from
there. Hopefully this means that fusion rules could be copied as well.

This is kind of a pre-release, many functions are still missing, and I
have not benchmarked yet. I am releasing this in the hopes of getting
some feedback on the general idea.

Homepage:  http://twan.home.fmf.nl/compact-string/
Haddock:   http://twan.home.fmf.nl/compact-string/doc/html/
Source:    darcs get http://twan.home.fmf.nl/repos/compact-string